Zen SC aces

The other day I was wondering why zen only counts aces as -1. Yet Aces have the highest EoR. Does anyone know why this is other than to make it a balanced count? Also would a sidecount of aces per deck help in some way to make better betting decisions?

1357111317 said:
The other day I was wondering why zen only counts aces as -1. Yet Aces have the highest EoR. Does anyone know why this is other than to make it a balanced count? Also would a sidecount of aces per deck help in some way to make better betting decisions?
-1 is a compromise between the importance of an ace to bc and its unimportance to pe.

If you want to side count aces do not count aces in your regular count and count sixes as 1 not 2. If you do that, voila!, you are using hi-opt II. If you really look at it, all Zen is is Hi opt II counting aces as -1 and to make it balanced, adding 1 to value of six.

SleightOfHand

1357111317 said:
This is ZGs response to the same question I had a while ago.

zengrifter said:
Aces add very little to any Ace inclusive count. 6s would not be the card (nor 5s) to start with either. For handheld games, the single most powerful side-count to add is 7s because they are multivariate - sometimes behaving like big cards and sometime behaving like small ones. But to add 7s requires the additional complexity of a multiparameter overlay. With a multiparameter scheme, however, Zen w/ 7s sidecount trumps HO2 w/ Aces sidecount. zg

jack.jackson

vingtetun said:
-1 is a compromise between the importance of an ace to bc and its unimportance to pe.

If you want to side count aces do not count aces in your regular count and count sixes as 1 not 2. If you do that, voila!, you are using hi-opt II. If you really look at it, all Zen is is Hi opt II counting aces as -1 and to make it balanced, adding 1 to value of six.
Yep! Additionaly(for the record) and, not that you should, if you kept a secondary count of A-1/3+1 you get the RPC for betting. Kinda like A-2/3,5+1, with Ao2, makes wong-halves.

Alright so for a Shoe game would Hi Opt with a SC be better than Zen with nothing? Because I am comfortable with Zen and I wouldn't mind sticking with it. I would like to add some kind of sidecount to my game if possible so I was just wondering what the best SC would be.

1357111317 said:
Alright so for a Shoe game would Hi Opt with a SC be better than Zen with nothing? Because I am comfortable with Zen and I wouldn't mind sticking with it. I would like to add some kind of sidecount to my game if possible so I was just wondering what the best SC would be.

I wouldn't use HO2 for shoes. I don't play many shoes so I can't help you further than that.

FLASH1296

If you want to add a side-count to an Ace Reckoned Count,
such As ZEN, the best to add is clearly the seven (7).

I suggest taking a look at Hi-Opt I in The World's Greatest Blackjack Book by Humble and Cooper.

Hi-Opt I is a Level One Count that was created for the inclusion of multi-parameter side counts.

On Balance, I always prefer the ZEN Count for shoe games.

FLASH1296

info'

Look at Theory of Blackjack, 6th ed. (1999) by Peter Griffin.

There are charts detailing the exact effect of removal for every card, 7's included.

Do the math and see how much of a surplus or deficit of 7's you will need to
change your strategy when your holding is a hard 12, 13, or 14.

Do the (simple) arithmetic and you will learn a lot about BJ.