Improving Card Counting Ability

MartyAce

Hey all,

I have been trying to practice card counting by just taking a deck and just running through it and counting using the standard -1 for 9, and any ten-value card, -2 for aces, +1 for 2-7, excluding 5, and 5 is +2.

It takes me maybe a minute to go through that, and i'll admit i have brain farts at times in there too. I know this won't pass to meet the dealer's speed.

What are ways that can help me improve this system or how can I use this system for counting and make it easier on myself?

another method i know if is knowing that every 2.6 hands a face card will show up, and just know the ratio of tens to the cards out. But this is a much less accurate way. What do you guys suggest? I'm not in any real hurry to go, planning on going in june. What else can I do to become more proficent?

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Practice

Practice is the key, so just keep doing what you're doing.
Be sure to go through the deck both one card at a time and two cards at a time. You'll find the two card process goes much quicker, because cards often cancel each other out.

Basically, you're just training your brain to do pattern recognition, and speed and accuracy come with practice.

BlackDog

MartyAce said:
Hey all,

I have been trying to practice card counting by just taking a deck and just running through it and counting using the standard -1 for 9, and any ten-value card, -2 for aces, +1 for 2-7, excluding 5, and 5 is +2.
Hello Everyone,

I am very new to the Blackjack world. I have probably spent a total of 60 bucks on the game in my entire life so please forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb question.

Does anyone know if the above counting system is more accurate, more dependable, better than the typical plus one minus one count? Or is it just different?

I have gotten my time down to 40 seconds using +1-1 but if the other system is better I have no problem changing. I will be playing against a six deck shoe so any advice on what counting system to use would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Strange system

I should have paid more attention to the system described in this thread, as it is an unusual one. I've never seen it mentioned before. It correctly values the 5 as worth more than the other small cards, but it overweights the Ace. The Ace and ten cards are pretty comparable in actual value.

The system is described in the post above as "the standard", but it's anything but. While it may be effective, I'm sure it doesn't compare that well to other choices of similar complexity.

I don't have time today to get into the merits of complicated vs simple counts, so a brief summary of my position will have to do: For most players, the Hi-Lo system of (2-6=+1, T,A=-1) is all you'll ever need. There are indeed more powerful systems, and there are also simpler systems like KO. But for most players, Hi-Lo is a good compromise.

This link will generate more questions than answers for most readers, but here's a list of various systems and their betting and playing efficiency.
http://www.bjmath.com/bjmath/counting/OSRating.htm (Archive copy)

yes & yes

Yes it was helpful and yes it generated questions.

Somthing like Uston APC looks to be the most efficent if you can manage the harder count. Learning it should just be a matter of practice though.

Is the difference compared to hi-lo worth the extra hours to learn it?
Also see related question in "counting for cover".

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
For most players, simpler is better

I think most players should stick with a simple count like Hi-Lo. Especially in the 6 and 8-deck games, the extra win rate is not that big a deal. Also, if using a more complex count costs you in the form of increased errors or reduced playing time due to fatigue, you can easily give back the advantage that way.

If you play at higher stakes, or you play mostly 1 and 2-deck games, this is a decision that gets tougher. I'd still start with Hi-Lo, and only consider moving to a more elaborate system after you're very comfortable using Hi-Lo. By then, you'll know a lot about the game and can make a decision based on your own personal situation.