Just got slaughtered for 110 units, I want to cry :cry:

Bondy3

this morning I won 6 max bets, then 2 shoes later I lost 8 max bets, and then I won 3 max bets, and that was the end of my session, came up 10.5 units :) (the .5 is from getting a BJ on a 1 unit bet)

jaygruden

I lost 112 units yesterday.....most of it came on one shoe.:cry: the Count skyrocketed very early and unfortunately remained high for the rest of the shoe. In a nutshell.....I took a woodshed beating. Could not catch on my splits or doubles and caught a remarkable number of stiff hands. I surrendered many of them but others were "hit" hands based on the index and I kept busting out.

I backed way off my bet size from the normal ramp because of the profuse bleeding but I still had significant money in the circle due to the count being so freaking high (the count actually called for my max bet on roughly 20-25 hands). After failing to win on several max bets at x15 I dropped to x10 then to x5 but I kept thinking "The tens have to start falling now.":confused: I'd win a hand then press it back up a little only to lose it on a double.

I was head to head at a NMSE table and kept feeling like this was a great opportunity.....I have a great count and no one can wong in to steal my cards. "Just be patient and the hands will come". The dealer showed a pat hand up the majority of time and when he showed a stiff, he made most of the hands. I couldn't win on any insurance bet and then on a few occasions I had to surrender a stiff after the insurance bet failed. I normally cover myself by not insuring a stiff but was trying to find any way to win a hand at this point.

Even when I spread to 2 and then 3 hands, I was catching crap and the dealer kept making hands. Pen was at 75% (not great.....but very winnable) on 6D game. All the damn tens were behind the cut card because the count was KO+12 at the end of the shoe.:flame:

I know this is just bad variance but it felt like a conspiracy at the time.:laugh::whip: I left promptly after because I know I exposed myself badly on that shoe. It's tough to keep your emotions in check during such a negative swing. I've had some shoes like this before but nothing this bad. I must have lost 75% of hands in a great count.

Does anyone drop to min bet in these situations and stay there until the tide turns in your favor? I thought about it but kept feeling that as soon as I do that the tens will come and I'll be caught without enough money in the circle. :(

Shoofly

jaygruden said:
Does anyone drop to min bet in these situations and stay there until the tide turns in your favor? :(
No. There is no tide. What happened in the past does not affect what will happen on future hands, except if the count changed. If the count calls for a max bet, make a max bet.

You play the count unless you think you made an error. If it was hand shuffle and you held the cut card a little attention to detail keeps those high cards where you want them.;)

Shoofly

tthree said:
You play the count unless you think you made an error. If it was hand shuffle and you held the cut card a little attention to detail keeps those high cards where you want them.;)
Let's crawl before we walk. The guy was talking about dropping his bet to the minimum during a high count, waiting until the tide turned. He's got to get past that nonsense before he goes on to anything else.

110 units?! That's nothing. The degenerate gambler who sat next to you at the table loses that there twice a month, likely. I have made or lost that several times. It happens, you can make it back then some. I think it is just a lesson in perseverance and in having a large enough bankroll to be able to avoid getting washed out.

Sounds like it made you a bit mad, hopefully it did! Use that energy to go get it back!!

Lowrider

Wow...I think we need some modicum of reason here..I wouldn't stop my car to pull over and take a steamy **** on 110 units WIN OR LOSS.

WTF?

What's the big deal here?

I am on the low end of the high roller spectrum and can tell you that overwhelmingly, probably 75% of my sessions thru October 2011 lifetime are either + or - AT LEAST 150 units.

110 units is a joke win or lose.

If you can't handle a win or loss of this VERY SMALL INSIGNIFICANT AMOUNT please do yourself a favor and QUIT NOW

PierceNation

Lowrider said:
Wow...I think we need some modicum of reason here..I wouldn't stop my car to pull over and take a steamy **** on 110 units WIN OR LOSS.

WTF?

I am on the low end of the high roller spectrum and can tell you that overwhelmingly, probably 75% of my sessions thru October 2011 lifetime are either + or - AT LEAST 150 units.

110 units is a joke win or lose.

If you can't handle a win or loss of this VERY SMALL INSIGNIFICANT AMOUNT please do yourself a favor and QUIT NOW
Depends what your definition of a unit is and how long your sessions are as to whether 50,100 or even 1000 units is a large swing.

Now **** off you miserable snidy ****.

jaygruden

Lowrider said:

WTF?

Some good points LR, but you need to change your frame of reference for a minute and think back to the FIRST time you won or lost 100 units in a session........I'm sure iit felt like a BIG DEAL to you either way. If you say "no", you are lying. How about the FIRST time you won or lost 200 units? I'm sure that felt like a BIG DEAL too. If it hasn't happened yet, then it will feel like a BIG DEAL the FIRST time you win or lose 1000 units in a single session. Yet, some BigPlayer out there may tell you "that's no big deal", as it happens to him all the time and he wouldn't even "pull his car over to take a steamy **** on 1000 units.":laugh:

The point is.....these things are all relative to experience. Example.....In my case, a 112 unit loss was not the largest in terms of number of units but it was the largest swing since I doubled my unit size, so the dollar value was by far the largest. Also, in the two weeks since I felt like I got hammered for that loss, I had the following sessions: -61 units, +104 units, +27 units, -29 units, -41 units, -46 units, +120 units, -85 units, +135 units.

Now that initial swing doesn't seem so much a BIG DEAL to me anymore. Learning how to fight through the emotional swings that inevitably come with the volatility of any investment is part of the growth process. It doesn't mean someone needs to quit. It means they need to learn from it and move on.;)

volatility or

A cute little name for variance?

One does not have the variance & emotional swings if they bet fractional kelly!

Kelly, 50% chance losing half bank
1/4 Kelly, .08% chance

One can dominate variance:whip:

PierceNation

blackjack avenger said:
A unit is your base bet, often table min.

I have to admit my unit is small.:(
But
Huge with a spread:devil:
I take a unit as the largest minimum for my bankroll, eg with 10000 I could afford a 10 minimum, this is what I take as my 'unit'.

With a 5 minimum I will bet my spread based on that, in order to keep RoR down (and heat). I haven't tried spreading 1-100 yet but I can't imagine it going down to well...

Zerg

PierceNation said:
I am seriously considering dropping from 1/2 Kelly to 1/4 kelly.
I am right there with you, but I don't want to take a 50% pay cut! Have been shooting for somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 recently.

kewljason

Zerg said:
I am right there with you, but I don't want to take a 50% pay cut! Have been shooting for somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 recently.
I have been 'dropping' to a smaller fraction of kelly over the past couple years, but I have 'dropped' by not increasing my betting levels as my bankroll grew, rather than taking a cut. :)