Can KO's Running Count Be True Count Converted?

Finn Dog

Wondering if a KO running count can be converted to a true count (because of how it counts a 7 as +1 vs. Hi-Lo)?

1. Assume 6 decks with the standard IRC of -10.

2. Same question but for an IRC that's been adjusted to +10.

Thanks in advance,

FD

Last edited:
Yes - all unbalanced counts can...

By the Unbalanced True Count Theorem:

Net unbalance per deck for K-O: U = +4

Therefore choose Initial Running Count (IRC) = - N_decks * U

Eg for six decks, IRC = -6 * 4 = -24

Unbalanced True Count (UTC) = IRC/(# decks remaining)

Now the Equivalent Balanced Count (EBC) = (K-0) - (U/4))/13 =

(-14,12,12,12,12,12,12,-1,-1,-14*4)/13

= approx (-1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, -1*4) [Hi-Lo]

Now UTC = EBTC - U, K-O(UTC) ~= Hi-Lo(TC) - 4

So if you have access to K-O true indices fine, otherwise since the EBC is approximately Hi-Lo (except for the 7's), take Hi-Lo indices and subtract 4 to give True count K-O indices.

For example, when the true count is zero for Hi-Lo, this corresponds to a UTC of -4. That is a neutral deck has UTC = -4, which is obviously true since at the beginning of the shoe, IRC = -24, UTC = -24/6 = -4.

Therefore all the Hi-Lo true count indices we know and love such as Insure at TC=+3, has a TKO UTC of -1. At the Pivot (UTC = 0), this corresponds to a Hi-Lo TC=+4.

Insure UTC >= -1 (TC=3)
Stand 16-10 UTC >= -4 (TC=0)

etc.. you get the picture.

All the same goes to betting.. if you only want to play in ADV>0 hands, this corresponds to a Hi-Lo TC of +2, so UTC >= -2. If you leave at TC=-1, leave at UTC=-5.

Cheers,
Brett.

Cheers,
Brett.

Hey.. another Noob here..

Sorry to intrude Finn Dog, but I have a quick question..

Whats the easiest out of Hi Lo and KO?

Ive heard KO is, but that true count stuff looks more confusing than the Hi Lo.. But then again running count looks more easier on the KO..

?

Last edited:

callipygian

Finn Dog said:
Wondering if a KO running count can be converted to a true count (because of how it counts a 7 as +1 vs. Hi-Lo)?
You can, but why would you want to do it? The big advantage of unbalanced systems is that you don't have to convert to a true count.

Finn Dog

Howie said:
Hey.. another Noob here..

Sorry to intrude Finn Dog, but I have a quick question..

Whats the easiest out of Hi Lo and KO?

Ive heard KO is, but that true count stuff looks more confusing than the Hi Lo.. But then again running count looks more easier on the KO..

?
Howie,

KO is the easier count to learn and sims show "KO Full" to be as strong as Hi-Lo on multiple deck shoes. KO has three different levels of diffuculty: KO Rookie, KO Preferred, and KO Full (in that order). Go with KO Full.

FD

Last edited:

Finn Dog

callipygian said:
You can, but why would you want to do it? The big advantage of unbalanced systems is that you don't have to convert to a true count.

I hear you--and I know it may seem contradictory to attempt such a conversion. My plan was just to do a true count conversion basically as a double-check just for betting efficiency on certain plays--vs. on playing decisions themselves.

I suppose this is my first attempt at slowly moving over to Hi-Lo from KO Full to see which I like better on 6 deck shoes. Any thoughts? I know the sims have them neck and neck; however, I understand one advantage of Hi-Lo is that it has a 97% betting efficiency (according to IA from Burning The Tables).

Thank you,

FD

Last edited:

Finn Dog

Brett_Harris said:
By the Unbalanced True Count Theorem:

Net unbalance per deck for K-O: U = +4

Therefore choose Initial Running Count (IRC) = - N_decks * U

Eg for six decks, IRC = -6 * 4 = -24

Unbalanced True Count (UTC) = IRC/(# decks remaining)

Now the Equivalent Balanced Count (EBC) = (K-0) - (U/4))/13 =

(-14,12,12,12,12,12,12,-1,-1,-14*4)/13

= approx (-1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, -1*4) [Hi-Lo]

Now UTC = EBTC - U, K-O(UTC) ~= Hi-Lo(TC) - 4

So if you have access to K-O true indices fine, otherwise since the EBC is approximately Hi-Lo (except for the 7's), take Hi-Lo indices and subtract 4 to give True count K-O indices.

For example, when the true count is zero for Hi-Lo, this corresponds to a UTC of -4. That is a neutral deck has UTC = -4, which is obviously true since at the beginning of the shoe, IRC = -24, UTC = -24/6 = -4.

Therefore all the Hi-Lo true count indices we know and love such as Insure at TC=+3, has a TKO UTC of -1. At the Pivot (UTC = 0), this corresponds to a Hi-Lo TC=+4.

Insure UTC >= -1 (TC=3)
Stand 16-10 UTC >= -4 (TC=0)

etc.. you get the picture.

All the same goes to betting.. if you only want to play in ADV>0 hands, this corresponds to a Hi-Lo TC of +2, so UTC >= -2. If you leave at TC=-1, leave at UTC=-5.

Cheers,
Brett.

Cheers,
Brett.
Sorry, I'm still a little lost. Can someone tell me please (for 6D KO "Full" with a standard IRC of -20 that's been adjusted by 30 for an IRC of +10):

1. What does my IRC of 10 change to?

2. What does my Key Count of 26 change to?

3. What does my Pivot Point of 34 change to?

4. What do my KO "Full" Matrix values change to? (I'll give one as an example: Hard 16 vs. 8: stand at a RC of 46 or more.)

Thanks again,

FD

Last edited:

nightspirit

Finn Dog said:
Sorry, I'm still a little lost. Can someone tell me please (for 6D KO "Full"):

1. What does my IRC of 10 change to?
Your IRC will change to 6x(-4)=-24
2. What does my Key Count of 26 change to?
Depending on the game you're playing you will probably raise your bet around a TC of -3 or -2. Your neutral true count is -4 that's approximately to a TC of 0 for Hilo.

3. What does my Pivot Point of 34 change to?
your pivot will be a TC of 0 that's equal to a +4 TC of Hilo.

4. What do my KO "Full" Matrix values change to? (I'll give one as an example: Hard 16 vs. 8: stand at a RC of 46 or more.)
I don't know if it's possible to transform running count indices into true count indices, better you use software to generate them.
You can take the hilo indices and subtract 4. I think that was suggested somewhere by Brett Harris. It will be a good approximation though Hilo doesn't count the 7 so some indices like 14 vs. 10 for example will be different. I will see if I find some TC indices for KO in my 'archive'. ;)

SystemsTrader

Finn Dog said:

1. Assume 6 decks with the standard IRC of -10.

2. Same question but for an IRC that's been adjusted to +10.

Thanks in advance,

FD
Maybe I can simplify things for you. I will split the difference and use an IRC of zero, you can adjust these numbers for 1. and 2. above by either adding or subtracting 10 from the IRC.

IRC=0 using 6 decks

5 decks remaining TC 0=4 TC 1=9 TC 2=14 TC 3=19 TC 4=24 TC 5=29
4 decks remaining TC 0=8 TC 1=12 TC 2=16 TC 3=20 TC 4=24 TC 5=28
3 decks remaining TC 0=13 TC 1=15 TC 2=18 TC 3=21 TC 4=24 TC 5=27
2 decks remaining TC 0=16 TC 1=18 TC 2=20 TC 3=22 TC 4=24 TC 5=26
1 deck remaining TC 0=20 TC 1=21 TC 2=22 TC 3=23 TC 4=24 TC 5=25

Now you can either memorize all those TC numbers or simply look at the discard tray and take the decks remaining and add or subtract that from the pivot to get your true count. So as an example with 3 decks remaining the true count will go up or down by 1 for each 3 you subtract or add from the pivot. With 3 decks remaining subtract 3 from the pivot for a true count of +3. So if the running count is at 21 with 3 decks remaining you have a true count of +3. If the running count is at 19 with 3 decks remaining you would subtract another 3 to get a true count of +2, always round down.
Does this make sense to you?

Last edited:

Finn Dog

SystemsTrader said:
Does this make sense to you?
I wish it did so I wouldn't have to keep bothering you!

In any event, I took your chart and adjusted all the TC numbers by an additional 10 to match my game: an IRC adjusted to +10 vs the standard KO IRC of -20 for 6 decks:

IRC of 10 using 6 decks (Key Count of 26, Pivot of 34)

5 decks remaining TC 0=14 TC 1=19 TC 2=24 TC 3=29 TC 4=34 TC 5=39
4 decks remaining TC 0=18 TC 1=22 TC 2=26 TC 3=30 TC 4=34 TC 5=38
3 decks remaining TC 0=23 TC 1=25 TC 2=28 TC 3=31 TC 4=34 TC 5=37
2 decks remaining TC 0=26 TC 1=28 TC 2=30 TC 3=32 TC 4=34 TC 5=36
1 deck remaining TC 0=30 TC 1=31 TC 2=32 TC 3=33 TC 4=34 TC 5=35

SystemsTrader said:
With 3 decks remaining subtract 3 from the pivot for a true count of +3. So if the running count is at 21 with 3 decks remaining you have a true count of +3.
OK, I must be missing something very obvious, can you please tell me what that is: in your example, if the RC is 21 (with 3 decks remaining), and I subtract 3 from my pivot of 34, that's 31. What do I divide by what to come up with +3?

Thanks once again for everyone's help!

FD

nightspirit

Finn Dog said:
Thanks Nightspirit, that's very helpful. Any idea how to figure it very early in the shoe for 6 decks remaining with an IRC of +10?

Thanks again,

FD
That's simple just change the IRC in cell C1 to your desired IRC. You will receive the numbers SystemsTrader gave you above. :)

Edit: I see the table begins with 5 decks remaining so just insert "6" in cell B4. You will receive 0 this way as it should be.

Last edited:

Finn Dog

nightspirit said:
That's simple just change the IRC in cell C1 to your desired IRC. You will receive the numbers SystemsTrader gave you above. :)

Edit: I see the table begins with 5 decks remaining so just insert "6" in cell B4. You will receive 0 this way as it should be.
Sorry, the way I phrased the question was ambiguous--what I meant was how can I find out what the RC value would be for a TC of +2 for 6 decks remaining (as the author lists values for only 5 decks and less)...I'm guessing it's 22?

Thanks again,

FD

Last edited:

nightspirit

Finn Dog said:
Sorry, the way I phrased the question was ambiguous--what I meant was how can I find out what the RC value would be for a TC of +2 for 6 decks remaining (as the author lists values for only 5 decks and less)...I'm guessing it's 22?

Thanks again,

FD
Just do the steps I wrote in my previous post. For example with a IRC of +10 and 6 decks remaining you will have a TC of +2 at a RC of 22.

Easier is to start your IRC at -24 for 6 decks and divide by the remaining decks.

RC=-12 -> -12/6=-2

since a tc of -4 is your neutral deck level (correspondending to a TC of 0 for Hilo) you are 2 above your neutral deck level so tc +2. ;)

Finn Dog

nightspirit said:
Just do the steps I wrote in my previous post. For example with a IRC of +10 and 6 decks remaining you will have a TC of +2 at a RC of 22.
Nightspirit,

For some reason I'm Gump-slow on this one--as I lost you during the explanation in your detailed post earlier. Could I trouble you to re-phase and walk me through the math--step-by-step--for the above example of an IRC of +10 for 6 decks equaling a RC of 22?

Thanks once and for all (hopefully)!:laugh:

FD

nightspirit

Finn Dog said:
Nightspirit,

For some reason I'm Gump-slow on this one--as I lost you during the explanation in your detailed post earlier. Could I trouble you to re-phase and walk me through the math--step-by-step--for the above example of an IRC of +10 for 6 decks equaling a RC of 22?

Thanks once and for all (hopefully)!:laugh:

FD
Hey no problem, let's try it again!

I hope you have read this post by Brett Harris Yes - all unbalanced counts can...

If your choosen IRC is different from ''-N_decks*U'' like in your example IRC=+10 you can calculate your UTC this way:

UTC = - (IRC) + RC - U x ( # decks_played ) / (# decks_rem)

Putting in your numbers we receive:

(-(10) + 22 - 4 x (0) ) / 6 = (-10+22) / 6 = 2

we receive an easier equation if we make IRC =-U x #decks

and (#decks_played) = #decks - (#decks_rem)

now our UTC = (U x #decks +RC - (U x #decks - U x #decks_rem)) / (# decks_rem)

UTC = RC + (U x #decks_rem) / (#decks_rem)

which leads us to UTC = (RC / (#decks_rem)) + U

Example:
for KO with IRC=-24 and U = 4:

RC = -12;
#decks_rem=4

--> UTC= (-12/4) + 4 = 1

SystemsTrader

Finn Dog said:
I wish it did so I wouldn't have to keep bothering you!

I must be missing something very obvious, can you please tell me what that is: in your example, if the RC is 21 (with 3 decks remaining), and I subtract 3 from my pivot of 34, that's 31. What do I divide by what to come up with +3?

Thanks once again for everyone's help!

FD
Don't worry you are not bothering anyone by asking these questions. After reading my own example I did a lousy job of explaining it. I would not make a very good teacher because of my idiosyncrasies. I see you've looked at KO Rob's chart. So instead of memorizing that whole chart there is some easy addition and subtraction you can do to get the true counts. In my example there is no division involved. Also with true counting KO you can forget about the key count is doesn't matter.

I will use your numbers in these examples. 6 decks, IRC=+10, pivot=+34, key=+26.
Let's say the count takes off and after 1 deck played or 5 decks remaining, the running count is at +24. That's pretty high but under the KO system you still wouldn't raise your bet because its not at the key count yet but its so close. This is one of the flaws with KO it underestimates the advantage early in the shoe and overestimates late in the shoe as well. KO is a fine system and gets the money in the long run but it can be improved upon by true counting it.

So with your running count of +24 you are wondering what's the true count? The pivot will always equal a true count of +4. Now look at the discard tray and you see 5 decks remaining. So subtract 5 from the pivot for each true count. So when you subtract 5 from the pivot you get 29 so a true count of +3 would equal 29 which your running count is below so subtract another 5 which would come to 24 so the true count of +2 is equal to a running count of 24 which your running count happens to be at. So with a true count of +2 you would definitely want to raise your bet.

Ok now using the same running count of 24 let's say there are 4 decks left. Subtract 4 from the pivot for each true count. 34-4=30 or TC+3, -4=26 or TC+2, -4=22 or TC+1. Since your RC is at 24 is between TC of +2 and +1, round down for a true count of +1.
Does this make anymore sense now? I'm just giving you an alternative method to what Brent Harris has shown you.

Here's a few more examples. Your running count is at +36 with 2 decks remaining to be played. So now add 2 onto your pivot so the true count will go up by +1 for each 2 that you add to it, so a true count of +5 will occur at 36 which your running count is at. Print out a copy of KO Robs chart and it should start to make sense. Here's a final example were KO overestimates at the end of the shoe. Let's say you are at 1 deck left to be dealt with a running count of +30. Under the KO system you would bet a middle unit amount. But under true counting KO you would bet just one unit because your true count would be at zero.