Greasy John

prankster

Over the years, reading blackjack this and blackjack that, the name Greasy John has popped up here and there. Any of you folks have any facts concerning Greasy John? It seems he was an interesting character and has become a part of our blackjack folklore. Thanks.:joker:

kewljason

prankster said:
Over the years, reading blackjack this and blackjack that, the name Greasy John has popped up here and there. Any of you folks have any facts concerning Greasy John? It seems he was an interesting character and has become a part of our blackjack folklore. Thanks.:joker:
I take it this is not the same Greasy John who posts on the other blackjack site? :confused:

Pro21

I never read any reference to Greasy John until today over at bj21. The poster implied he was in the hall-of-fame which would narrow it down to one. I've never heard him referred to as Greasy John though.

shadroch

Facts? Why mess up a perfectly good legend with something as subjective as facts? From what I've read, things such as facts, or math were fairly low on GJs agenda.

Urban legend

This is what I have heard about "Greasy John" and although this was an actual person this is totally hearsay. Supposedly he was a portly sort of gentleman whose favorite food was greasy fried chicken, which he would regularly eat at the table while playing cards! He got his nickname from his eating habits but what he lacked in table manners he made up for in remarkable card playing ability.

His arteries pumped more of a chicken fat saturated sludge rather than blood and his eating habits eventually caught up to him and he died of a heart attack while at the table. Perhaps a few old timers could validate this story one way or the other because I certainly can't. This is merely what I heard very long ago on the "rumor mill".

Perhaps he was actually one of the forefathers of card-daubing! He apparently got complaints about his handling of the cards and getting greasy residue all over them.