I hate 16.

FreeStyle

It seems like I always bust when I hit on 16. But even just thinking about what's available in the deck in seems weird to hit EVEN when the dealer's up card is 6< . The cards that are beneficial are 2,3,4,5,A while the cards that kill you are 6,7,8,9,10,J,Q,K.....Way more bust cards.

I just don't get it. by the way, I bustd when the count was +, -, and 0. I just couldn't win on that number!

Do you ever think BS is wrong?

daddybo

Yes, 16 is not a good hand. BS is designed to have you lose less in these marginal situations. If you always stand on 16 you will lose more over time than if you hit using only BS plays. Think about it..the dealer will bust only a little more than 1/4 of the time. So if you stand on 16 you will lose around 3/4 of the time. That 's why you hit... to get those few times that will soften your loss.

You indicated you knew the count. i will assume you realize with this additional information you should sometimes stand on the 16 and sometimes hit the 16 against all up cards depending on the TC.

As cover, some players, especially wongers, never hit a 16 vs 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 10. Low cost cover since, in the case of the wonger, it's usually the correct play.

bj bob

FreeStyle said:
It seems like I always bust when I hit on 16. But even just thinking about what's available in the deck in seems weird to hit EVEN when the dealer's up card is 6< . The cards that are beneficial are 2,3,4,5,A while the cards that kill you are 6,7,8,9,10,J,Q,K.....Way more bust cards.

I just don't get it. by the way, I busted when the count was +, -, and 0. I just couldn't win on that number!

Do you ever think BS is wrong?
Another way to look at it. Once you make the decision to stand on 16, you've in essence have made the choice to play "dealer bust", i.e. you are now betting @1:1 payoff with a 25% chance of winning.

pogostick

I may be wrong ,but don't think about it and use BS. I always get a numb feeling when the D up card is 7 and I have 16 with a $50 or $100 bet. If you feel the D has 17 or more , you may want to surrender and the watch as the next card is a 2,3,4 or 5 . Pogo :)

FreeStyle

Don't hit a 16 against a dealer's 10? I've never seen a bs card showing that.

daddybo said:
Yes, 16 is not a good hand. BS is designed to have you lose less in these marginal situations. If you always stand on 16 you will lose more over time than if you hit using only BS plays. Think about it..the dealer will bust only a little more than 1/4 of the time. So if you stand on 16 you will lose around 3/4 of the time. That 's why you hit... to get those few times that will soften your loss.

You indicated you knew the count. i will assume you realize with this additional information you should sometimes stand on the 16 and sometimes hit the 16 against all up cards depending on the TC.

As cover, some players, especially wongers, never hit a 16 vs 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 10. Low cost cover since, in the case of the wonger, it's usually the correct play.

Sonny

FreeStyle said:
Don't hit a 16 against a dealer's 10? I've never seen a bs card showing that.
At any positive running count you stand. Someone who only plays positive true counts will always be standing.

-Sonny-

Koz1984

There is a 0.01% difference between standing and hitting 16. If you hit, you will lose 545,000 times out of 1,000,000. If you stand, you will lose 546,000 times out of 1,000,000. Its a VERY tight margin. its $1000 difference in $1,000,000 turnover. As Sonny points out, if you Wong and only play +ve shoes, you will ALWAYS stand a 16, despite BS telling you to hit.