taxes on slots jackpot

flyingwind

say you win a slots jackpot in another state, and state taxes are taken out for that state, then once you return to your state, what do you do when you reach tax time?

Machinist

Usually the state that took the taxes have a form you fillout to recover your money. Trying to think the one state I got money back from, it was a 3% hold. Either Indiana or ms it was. Pretty sure it was Indiana.
Also make sure you get your money from Uncle Sam. !!!!
Machinist

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Machinist said:
Usually the state that took the taxes have a form you fillout to recover your money.
That form would be the state income tax return for non-residents. Non-trivial, but worth it if you have much money coming back.

Trying to think the one state I got money back from, it was a 3% hold. Either Indiana or ms it was. Pretty sure it was Indiana.
Definitely was not Mississippi. Our 3% "state income tax" withheld is not refundable for residents or non-residents. If you are a non-resident of Mississippi, you may be able to effectively get the money back though by showing that as tax paid to another state on your home state return. Most states allow credits for other state taxes I believe.