It's a rough life...

Mathman

mathman said:
The Zone...There is nothing cooler than that. For me it always used to happen on the days when you walked in the door high on life. Confident, happy and sure you were going to have a good day. You catch the perfect circumstances that allow you to raise your bet like a progression better would. The temperature rises and you cap your bets, catch every double down, you just can't lose. Then the pair of 8's against a 5. It's a miracle, another 8 and then the 3. Your wondering about the high temperature, where are these cards coming from? A ten, 21 perfect!!! Another ten, oh well 18 against a 5, it will be OK. Holy s**t another 3, oh my god, then the ten, another 21. You sit back, put your hands behind your head, and the dealer busts with two neutral cards. YES!!! The next hand out, BLACKJACK!! $2600 in a few hands. Too cool, it makes you wonder why you can't find that feeling all the time. You swear it's you, no hesitation on betting because you can't go wrong. A perfect run...(Luxor 2002)
How right you are Bj Bro'.:cool:

For me it is just like you describe, or it can be a much more sinister mood, a desire to put on a show, a desire to avenge a loss, a feeling of Hyber Masculinity, of going to war, of blood letting:yikes: an ability to put myself in the zone, rather than external conditions putting me there.

Keep up those great posts mathman, you sound like a real BJ WARRIOR. Soon all of us will come to understand you, as we all are pulling for you, as a fellow AP. :)

CP

mathman

Thanks CP, you've made me feel welcome. I truly love this game but it is definitely a love/hate thing. I thought as time goes by I would share some war stories, good and bad so that some of the guys coming in could get an understanding of what this life is like. The game has definitely changed, for the worse I might add, 6 to 5, h17 and lack of tables to play are the biggest problems I see facing the guys coming up. The squeeze is on and it doesn't favor the player. It also seems there are more civilians (ploppy's as you guys call them) than ever. I suspect Hollywood has something to do with this. This is not an easy way to make money, it is hard work any way you look at it. The problem with that statement is when things go your way there is nothing better. I will be back and hopefully soon. I will be prepared better than ever because of finding this site. You guys are helping me more than you know and reading some of these posts has opened my eyes to a few things. I should have made my screen name dynasaur because compared to you guys that's what I feel like. The blackjack table is back in my living room because I've got some old habits to change. School is open again...

Last edited:

Sonny

callipygian said:
(2) If your username is a reference to Square One, you are my hero.
Oh man, I remember that show! Mathman, Mathnet, Dirk Niblick. They even combined my two favorite things: Combinatronics and Dweezil Zappa!

-Sonny-

mathman

Yup, A while after high school (+10yrs) is when that show was on. Starting to show my age now, man I'm getting old lol...
Variance is Mr. Glitch

Last edited: