Sp21 Order of Operations

assume_R

All: logically, it seems this should be the order one uses to make decisions in Spanish 21, but I'm open for others' opinions:

1. Special Index (such as an index for 7 of spades, 8 of spades vs. 3)
2. Multi-Card Index (such as an index for a 4-card 15 vs. 2)
3. Index (such as a general index for a 15 vs. 2)
4. Special Action (such as the basic strategy for a 7 of spades, 8 of spades vs. 3, which in this case is to hit)
5. Multi-Card Action (such as the basic strategy for a 4-card 15 vs. 2, which in this case is to hit)
6. Default Action (such as the basic strategy for a 15 vs. 2, which in this case is to stand)

I'm not too confident of the order of 2 - 5.

moo321

I'm not sure how important any of this is. You'd probably be better off memorizing the more arcane regular indices (16 v. 4-6, ten splitting, etc.) than memorizing hand specific indices.

assume_R

Hmm you think? The problem is that the frequencies of those "arcane" indices could be pretty low, so they don't happen often, yet I get many 6,7 vs 6 and 10,3 v 6 so it would be good to know if the correct index is to hit or stand.

Also, the multi-card 10 and 11 doubling indices (versus 9 - A especially) are very useful, as there are plenty of opportunities for doubling those.

assume_R said:
All: logically, it seems this should be the order one uses to make decisions in Spanish 21, but I'm open for others' opinions:

1. Special Index (such as an index for 7 of spades, 8 of spades vs. 3)
2. Multi-Card Index (such as an index for a 4-card 15 vs. 2)
3. Index (such as a general index for a 15 vs. 2)
4. Special Action (such as the basic strategy for a 7 of spades, 8 of spades vs. 3, which in this case is to hit)
5. Multi-Card Action (such as the basic strategy for a 4-card 15 vs. 2, which in this case is to hit)
6. Default Action (such as the basic strategy for a 15 vs. 2, which in this case is to stand)

I'm not too confident of the order of 2 - 5.
1/2 and 4/5 are going to exclude on another, no?

The universal rule is if you know an index for a play, you use it, and if not you use the composition-dependent play, then the basic play.

1. Special index (Stand on 8,7 vs. 2 because TC=+5)
2. Special play (Hit 8,7 vs. 2 because the chart says so)
3. Index (hit 15 vs. 2 because TC=-2)
4. Basic (stand on 15 vs. 2)

assume_R

Okay, makes sense, monkey. So what would you do in this example: You know the H/S index for a 15v2 is -1, you have a 4-card 15, and you can't remember the 4-card index for 15v2. The count is 0. Given your 2-card index, you'd stand. But the basic strategy play is S4* (hit with your 4-card 15v2). And you can't remember the 4-card 15v2 index. What would you do?

assume_R said:
Okay, makes sense, monkey. So what would you do in this example: You know the H/S index for a 15v2 is -1, you have a 4-card 15, and you can't remember the 4-card index for 15v2. The count is 0. Given your 2-card index, you'd stand. But the basic strategy play is S4* (hit with your 4-card 15v2). And you can't remember the 4-card 15v2 index. What would you do?
Assuming I know no relative indices either, I would hit. The comp-dependent strategy says hit a 4-card 15 vs. 2, doesn't say anything about the count.

Now the relative index for a 50% bonus is around 3 TC's using the common SP21 counts and between 1 and 2 TC's for another count I've been using for these decisions, so being I know that, I would stand if the count was sufficiently high. Thus if you're going to use those multi-card plays, it pays to use a relative index adjustment so you're making the best play with a large bet out.

assume_R

Automatic Monkey said:
Assuming I know no relative indices either, I would hit. The comp-dependent strategy says hit a 4-card 15 vs. 2, doesn't say anything about the count.

Now the relative index for a 50% bonus is around 3 TC's using the common SP21 counts and between 1 and 2 TC's for another count I've been using for these decisions, so being I know that, I would stand if the count was sufficiently high. Thus if you're going to use those multi-card plays, it pays to use a relative index adjustment so you're making the best play with a large bet out.
capiche