"I only gamble with lottery winnings"

Dyepaintball12

I was playing yesterday with a kid, younger than me, who I immediately disliked when he sat down. He was a know-it-all and would just keep repeating the same cliche gambling phrases (I can only fake laugh at these for so long). I was about to start paying this kid $25 for every hour he didn't speak when he ran to the ATM and came back:

Him: "Okay, got more lottery winnings"

Me: "What?"

Him: "I only gamble with lottery winnings."

Me: "Like scratch-off lottery tickets?"

Him: "Yeah, I never gamble with my own money."

Me: "It's your money once it's in your pocket."

Him: "Nah, I just use it to gamble instead of using my own money."

Me: "Right. Good luck, sir."

LovinItAll

Dyepaintball12 said:
I was playing yesterday with a kid, younger than me, who I immediately disliked when he sat down. He was a know-it-all....
A kid sat down with me not too long ago and reminded me of soooo many young poker players. EVERY HAND he would say, "The dealer wins x% of the time showing a y against a z".

For the hands I remembered the percentages on, he was right. It didn't make me want to gag him any less, though. Tossing him a green to STFU crossed my mind, too.

MangoJ said:
This information has no value. It doesn't help you on any decision to make what your current position is.
It would be nice if he could rattle off the expected value of staying, hitting, doubling, or splitting based on the count.

MangoJ

alwayssplitaces said:
It would be nice if he could rattle off the expected value of staying, hitting, doubling, or splitting based on the count.
And even then he is off. In Single deck, those values fluctuate more than 10% after the first round is played.

Gamblor

What about the punk kids with $40 in front of them, going ballistic when I hit 12 v 6 and I have $800 in front of me. Um there's a reason for that you know.

Must... strangle.... ploppy...

LovinItAll

MangoJ said:
This information has no value. It doesn't help you on any decision to make what your current position is.
I understand. If you're a poker player, you know the type, though.

"I'm behind 78 to 22", etc.

LIA

pit15

Gamblor said:
What about the punk kids with $40 in front of them, going ballistic when I hit 12 v 6 and I have $800 in front of me. Um there's a reason for that you know.

Must... strangle.... ploppy...
If you got an $800 bet out there and are hitting 12 v 6 then you're doing something wrong

Gamblor

pit15 said:
If you got an $800 bet out there and are hitting 12 v 6 then you're doing something wrong
$800 is my minimal bet! :eek:

Just kidding, I said in front of me, not in the betting circle. Also, there are situations when you will have a big bet out and have to hit 12 v 6 even when straight up CC'ing.

pit15

Gamblor said:
$800 is my minimal bet! :eek:

Just kidding, I said in front of me, not in the betting circle. Also, there are situations when you will have a big bet out and have to hit 12 v 6 even when straight up CC'ing.
that is true, but very rare

I'm confused by the last post.

pit15 said:
that is true, but very rare
Ok, what am I missing? Isn't 12v6 a standard hi-lo Illustrious 18 index? You hit it at <-1.

How is that rare? Are you implying you'd be wonged out by then so it would rarely be played?
Under what scenario would you have a big bet out at -2 while only CC'ing?
Are you figuring being stuck on third base after a whole lot of paint flew out?

Let me on the arc...please...aw, come'on.

bj bob

B Jack Trash said:
Ok, what am I missing? Isn't 12v6 a standard hi-lo Illustrious 18 index? You hit it at <-1.

How is that rare? Are you implying you'd be wonged out by then so it would rarely be played?
Under what scenario would you have a big bet out at -2 while only CC'ing?
Are you figuring being stuck on third base after a whole lot of paint flew out?

Let me on the arc...please...aw, come'on.
The point the posters are trying to make is that the $800 bet (assuming it is not the min.) is that the TC was already established before the hand was dealt; and if the count were low enough to make that particular play. i.e.
12 v.6, the player would have known this ahead of time and therefore would not have made such a large bet in the first place. It's very rare to see the TC drop over 5 in a single hand. (except for pitch)

Gamblor

bj bob said:
The point the posters are trying to make is that the $800 bet (assuming it is not the min.) is that the TC was already established before the hand was dealt; and if the count were low enough to make that particular play. i.e.
12 v.6, the player would have known this ahead of time and therefore would not have made such a large bet in the first place. It's very rare to see the TC drop over 5 in a single hand. (except for pitch)
Or deeper pen, with more players at the table. Can easily go from +4 to -1. I've played some < 1 deck cutoffs :) Just recently had to take a hit on a 13 v 2 on a moderately big bet. Something weird and unwholesome about that :)

Dye

Dyepaintball12 said:
I was playing yesterday with a kid, younger than me, who I immediately disliked when he sat down. He was a know-it-all and would just keep repeating the same cliche gambling phrases (I can only fake laugh at these for so long). I was about to start paying this kid $25 for every hour he didn't speak when he ran to the ATM and came back:

Him: "Okay, got more lottery winnings"

Me: "What?"

Him: "I only gamble with lottery winnings."

Me: "Like scratch-off lottery tickets?"

Him: "Yeah, I never gamble with my own money."

Me: "It's your money once it's in your pocket."

Him: "Nah, I just use it to gamble instead of using my own money."

Me: "Right. Good luck, sir."
I love your first sentence:laugh:,,,whenever I have said that in the past, on a few occasions, posters flamed me for being anti-social, a social-path, a serial killer etc,,,,you say it and no one comments:confused::laugh::laugh:

I am glad I am not alone in my quick judgements;) And strong opinions...................:cool:

CP

kewljason

creeping panther said:
I love your first sentence:laugh:,,,whenever I have said that in the past, on a few occasions, posters flamed me for being anti-social, a social-path, a serial killer etc,,,,you say it and no one comments:confused::laugh::laugh:

I am glad I am not alone in my quick judgements;) And strong opinions...................:cool:

CP
A serial killer? :confused: I don't remember anyone suggesting that. :laugh: (but I guess it's possible ;))

The rest of your point is well taken though, CP and just goes to show, you are a bad influence on Mr Dye. ;)