Cutting low cards out of play / high cards into play

Single deck, heads up. The dealer consistently shows me the bottom card of the deck after shuffling when I need to cut. If it's a low card, I cut that card out of play, and if it's a 10 or ace I cut it into play near the top so it would come out the first or second hand. How much is this worth? Is it like starting every deck with a +1 count?

shadroch

alwayssplitaces said:
Single deck, heads up. The dealer consistently shows me the bottom card of the deck after shuffling when I need to cut. If it's a low card, I cut that card out of play, and if it's a 10 or ace I cut it into play near the top so it would come out the first or second hand. How much is this worth? Is it like starting every deck with a +1 count?

Yes.

alwayssplitaces said:
Practice precision cutting -- the ability to cut off a, say, 12 cards plus or minus no more than one card. It's not as hard as it sounds. And then work with a partner.

TX

London Colin

Cutting a small card out of play is obviously like starting the deck with a +1 count: You've seen one card that can't be played and account for it just the same as you do the cards that you see used up during play.

But cutting a big card to the front is surely worth a lot more. The greater the precision with which you can steer it to a particular hand, the more it must be worth. (Assuming you raise your bet for the hand in question to reflect the boost in EV.)

[I have no experience of doing this; I'm just theorizing. I'm sure there are many practical constraints on what can actually be achieved.]

London Colin said:
Cutting a big card to the front is surely worth a lot more. The greater the precision with which you can steer it to a particular hand, the more it must be worth. (Assuming you raise your bet for the hand in question to reflect the boost in EV.]
I think that's what I was trying to say. You said it much more coherently. (The partner would be useful for making the big bets.)

RG1

If you can steer the high cards to yourself, how much would it be worth to steer the low cards (2-7) to the dealer? What if you could steer it as their hole card?

It seems like something worth figuring out and practicing.

Sucker

London Colin said:
But cutting a big card to the front is surely worth a lot more.
A player getting a 10 as his first card has a 13% advantage over the house. If the DEALER gets the 10 the player is playing at a 17% DISADVANTAGE.

I'm not saying don't try it, but if you do; you better know what the hell you're doing!

London Colin

txlouder said:
I think that's what I was trying to say. You said it much more coherently. (The partner would be useful for making the big bets.)
Yes, I thought that was what you were hinting at. It just seemed worth spelling out for the OP.

London Colin

Sucker said:
A player getting a 10 as his first card has a 13% advantage over the house. If the DEALER gets the 10 the player is playing at a 17% DISADVANTAGE.

I'm not saying don't try it, but if you do; you better know what the hell you're doing!
Indeed. I wasn't trying to promote this as an easy thing to do. I just wanted to draw a clear distinction between the two cases (which seemed to be being viewed as more-or-less equivalent).

Dyepaintball12

Sucker said:

Wait a second. After reading "Busting Vegas", although Fiction, it says that while steering 10s to the player is a huge advantage, they steered tens to the dealer because it gave him a much larger chance of busting.

Sonny

Dyepaintball12 said:
...they steered tens to the dealer because it gave him a much larger chance of busting.
And how did that work out for them? If you find a situation where you know the exact location of a card then you might think about it, but most of the time you will only have general information that can easily backfire if you try to get "fancy" with it.

-Sonny-

Sucker

Dyepaintball12 said:
Wait a second. After reading "Busting Vegas", although Fiction, it says that while steering 10s to the player is a huge advantage, they steered tens to the dealer because it gave him a much larger chance of busting.
If the dealer's UP card is a ten he has a 17% advantage. If his HOLE card is a ten and you know for sure it's a ten, he still has the advantage, but because you know the hole card, it will be much less; largely because he can't get a blackjack without you winning the insurance bet.

If you can steer 10s to the dealer as a HIT card, it's a whole new ball game! I'm sure that that's what they were talking about in the book.

Sucker said:
If you can steer 10s to the dealer as a HIT card, it's a whole new ball game! I'm sure that that's what they were talking about in the book.
Refresh my memory - what is the pre-deal advantage% knowing that dealer's first hit will be 10? zg