Live poker going to hell

moo321

I've noticed live poker games getting much worse in the last five years. Used to be the $3-6 limit games had 6-8 limper to every flop, now it's 3-4.

No limit has declined too. Seems universal: midwest, south, AC, Vegas. Games are getting worse.

Lonesome Gambler

It makes sense. It's long enough after the initial poker boom to where players that stayed on have learned the game a bit and new players have different motivations than having a chance to go all in just like the guys they saw on TV. I hardly think this means anything too significant, as live poker will always be beatable, but it just won't be as profitable as it was a few years back, unless a new movie about poker comes out, or WSOP develops a new gimmick, etc. It's the same reason that a lot of online pros have turned to just playing heads-up; the competition has gotten harder and the playing field of gamblers has thinned out.

Thunder

I've been saying this for a while. I've noticed a vast improvement in the players in AC over the last few years. You can no longer win off of just playing the right hands anymore. You actually have to be pretty good at post flop play too now to win.

mjbballar23

moo321 said:
I've noticed live poker games getting much worse in the last five years. Used to be the $3-6 limit games had 6-8 limper to every flop, now it's 3-4.

No limit has declined too. Seems universal: midwest, south, AC, Vegas. Games are getting worse.
Although this is true, live players are still absolutely god awful postflop so that games are still very beatable for No-limit.

And live players still do not know how to fold. And if they do know how to fold they fold wayyy too often. But 99% of the time you can just pick up good hands and value bet them, just throw out the whole making better hand fold part of your reasons for betting and just bet and let worse hands call.

mjbballar23

As time goes on poker players as a whole will continue to get better. You just need to make sure you are learning at a faster pace than the general population and you are fine.