QFIT's new free book

kewljason

I'm not sure if this thread belongs somewhere else (like announcements), but I wanted to comment on Norm W's new book, MODERN BLACKJACK, which is available for free at his Qfit website. I am currently only about half way through this book as it contains a great deal of information (over 500 pages). So far it is an excellent source of information. Perhaps this is a good place to point some of the newbie that seem to be appearing more and more frequently. Congratulations Norm, absolute superb job! And especially thanx for sharing your thoughts, experiences and wisdom with the community at no charge.

Last edited:

FLASH1296

MAGNUM OPUS !

This is absolute "Must Reading".

Extraordinarily impressive I M O.

Norm's "FELT COUNT" is something that I can embrace as my top choice as a recommended Count for new players.

There is a great deal to absorb here and what is too gargantuan in scope is hot-linked to Norm's QFIT website.

sagefr0g

omg, this is obviously gonna be a classic

just started reading Norm's book. lol, so far, just the story of his start and i'm transfixed. :)

i love this quote and passage from the book:
Kierkegaard said, “Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” Now that much time has passed, it is easy for me to see the mistakes of my youth.

In many ways, the most important part of learning how to win is learning how not to lose.

21forme

I'd love to read it, but...

I still haven't finished Exhibit CAA
and
I hate reading web books (but I will do it, of course).

kewljason

sagefr0g said:
just started reading Norm's book. lol, so far, just the story of his start and i'm transfixed. :)

i love this quote and passage from the book:
Kierkegaard said, “Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” Now that much time has passed, it is easy for me to see the mistakes of my youth.

In many ways, the most important part of learning how to win is learning how not to lose.
I couldn't agree more sagefrog. I love reading books, stories, even posts on message boards about other peoples experiences. Often you can learn from thier mistakes which is even better than learning from your own. :)
I also thoroughly enjoy stories about experiences in Vegas in the good old days, that being born late I had the displeasure of missing.

Last edited:

kewljason

DownUnderWonder said:
Awesome, anyone know if this is going to be published or self published?

On the other site, he does state that he is considering a print version, but for now,
it apppears in a truely generous gesture Norm is sharing his work for free online.

Last edited:

QFIT

Many thanks for the comments.

I forgot until someone e-mailed me and asked. Updated versions of CVBJ, CVData and CVCX with the new strategies can be found at www.qfit.com/downloads.htm in the free updates section. There is no charge for these updates.

UK-21

Have just spent around an hour persuing Mr W's book. Excellent reading, for which all students of the game should be grateful. Thank you.

As I'm in the UK I was particularly interested in the numbers for the 6 deck games we get over here. The table on page 46 gives the HE on 6 deck, S17, RSA, DAS, NS as 0.458%. I've always though it hovered around 0.65%, being 0.54% plus the additional disadvantage of ENHC of 0.11%??

Norman, can you clarify this for me?

Thanks.

Newb99

nightspirit

newb99 said:
Have just spent around an hour persuing Mr W's book. Excellent reading, for which all students of the game should be grateful. Thank you.

As I'm in the UK I was particularly interested in the numbers for the 6 deck games we get over here. The table on page 46 gives the HE on 6 deck, S17, RSA, DAS, NS as 0.458%. I've always though it hovered around 0.65%, being 0.54% plus the additional disadvantage of ENHC of 0.11%??

Thanks.

Newb99
I believe the -0.64% you get implies the D9 rule and is also without RSA.

Last edited:

QFIT

newb99 said:

Thanks.

Newb99
Don't know where you got .54%. That sounds like H17.

UK-21

My mistake - I used the odds calculator in the WoO's site, and didn't pick the right button for resplitting aces. But even with picking this the HE is 0.45% and with the 0.11% extra for ENHC BJs win all that takes it to 0.56%?

QFIT

are you setting "Player loses only original bet against dealer BJ:" to no? If so, you are adding in ENHC twice.