going for the brass ring

sagefr0g

murky swamp water

ok, so now say for the two scenario's there is a way to gain an advantage over your competitors. the question becomes, how is such a given advantage affected by the number of said riders (say the competitors all have equal skill relative to one another, except for our hero of course)?
such that:
A = hero's advantage over other riders
Y = value of the prize
X = cost of the ride
where Y>X
P = number of riders

fixed cost scenario
there is a merry go round with twelve horses and a brass ring that has value greater than the cost of the ride.
a lone rider will always experience plus ev, cause he is gonna get the brass ring.
but if the ride fills up with more riders and the value of the brass ring and the cost of the ride doesn't change, then there may reach a point where our hero will experience either zero ev or negative ev if the numeric value of the ratio of the value of the brass ring to the cost of the ride isn't high enough.

fill in the blank lol, ______________[/QUOTE]

diminishing cost scenario
but suppose that the carnival had a promotion where the cost X of the ride was reduced by dividing the original ride cost by the number of riders while keeping the value of the brass ring the same.

fill in the blank lol, ______________

Machinist

blackjack avenger said:
Where is the real froggie!
BJavenger.......lmao.....it's him....the ole redchipper , voodoo loving guy, himself.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm afraid Froggo has found better bugs in another pond for the time being, until said bugs become scarce! He's trying to eat as many bugs as possible right now, nothing lasts forever. Gotta eat while the eatin is good.

Machinist

sagefr0g

Machinist said:
BJavenger.......lmao.....it's him....the ole redchipper , voodoo loving guy, himself.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm afraid Froggo has found better bugs in another pond for the time being, until said bugs become scarce! He's trying to eat as many bugs as possible right now, nothing lasts forever. Gotta eat while the eatin is good.

Machinist
lmao, you guz are buggin me :joker::whip:
no but yup jus catchin bugs in the swamp here, maybe some day this amphibian will crawl onto dry land and evolve, like some people i know, lol.
so but yeah, nothing lasts forever, gotta eat while the eatin is good, jus what i told aslan, that what you told him? :rolleyes:

Machinist

sagefr0g said:
lmao, you guz are buggin me :joker::whip:
no but yup jus catchin bugs in the swamp here, maybe some day this amphibian will crawl onto dry land and evolve, like some people i know, lol.
so but yeah, nothing lasts forever, gotta eat while the eatin is good, jus what i told aslan, that what you told him? :rolleyes:
You KNOW that's what I tell everybody oh slippery one.
Funny you should mention him.......Anyways.....
Sittin here takin a break from chores............lookin at 4 horses..........thinking........
Or maybe questioning,,,,,,, are these guys +EV or -EV as I watch them eat 2 bales of hay at 6 bucks a bale!!!!.!
(Shaking my head). Uughhhhh. Every day they eat that......hmm

Machinist

sagefr0g

Machinist said:
Sittin here takin a break from chores............lookin at 4 horses..........thinking........
Or maybe questioning,,,,,,, are these guys +EV or -EV as I watch them eat 2 bales of hay at 6 bucks a bale!!!!.!

Machinist
i was thinkin the same thing about the gas tank on my car.......hmm

Machinist said:

Machinist
Don't you have a pasture? That is free food. They leave great fertilizer for the garden too.

jaygruden

Your brass ring game scenario sounds like which of the following?

A. A Ponzi scheme
B. A pyramid scheme
C. An Amway sales meeting
:laugh:

Machinist

yep

tthree said:
Don't you have a pasture? That is free food. They leave great fertilizer for the garden too.
Problem is we is in the middle of a dang ole drought. I have talked to a few of the farmers here......they cant remember such a bad year. I think we are sitting at 3 or 4 inches of rain for the whole year here..
We havent had any pasture all year since spring......It's horrible.....The cotton fields will yield nothing here.....unless its irrigated..
Very bad down here....we got maybe 2 inches out of the last tropical storm.....50 miles west they got 6 plus...
We have about ten acres to pasture on but when it isnt growing......well.......:sad::sad:

Machinist

Machinist said:
Problem is we is in the middle of a dang ole drought. I have talked to a few of the farmers here......they cant remember such a bad year. I think we are sitting at 3 or 4 inches of rain for the whole year here..
We havent had any pasture all year since spring......It's horrible.....The cotton fields will yield nothing here.....unless its irrigated..
Very bad down here....we got maybe 2 inches out of the last tropical storm.....50 miles west they got 6 plus...
We have about ten acres to pasture on but when it isnt growing......well.......:sad::sad:

Machinist
I wish I could give you some of our rain. My sump pump has been running for a month. My front yard has turned into a swamp. They paved the street in front of my house even though it didn't need it. The water running off everyones lawns cut channels in the pavement along the curbs so they will have to do it again. The sun finally came out today after a month of hiding. People weren't sure what it was.

Machinist

tthree said:
I wish I could give you some of our rain. My sump pump has been running for a month. My front yard has turned into a swamp. They paved the street in front of my house even though it didn't need it. The water running off everyones lawns cut channels in the pavement along the curbs so they will have to do it again. The sun finally came out today after a month of hiding. People weren't sure what it was.
I hear ya!!!!!

Machinist

sagefr0g

ok, so now say for the two scenario's there is a way to gain an advantage over your competitors. the question becomes, how is such a given advantage affected by the number of said riders (say the competitors all have equal skill relative to one another, except for our hero of course)?
such that:
A = hero's advantage over other riders
Y = value of the prize
X = cost of the ride
where Y>X
P = number of riders

fixed cost scenario
there is a merry go round with twelve horses and a brass ring that has value greater than the cost of the ride.
a lone rider will always experience plus ev, cause he is gonna get the brass ring.
but if the ride fills up with more riders and the value of the brass ring and the cost of the ride doesn't change, then there may reach a point where our hero will experience either zero ev or negative ev if the numeric value of the ratio of the value of the brass ring to the cost of the ride isn't high enough.

here the ratio of the brass ring value to ride cost must have a greater numerical value than than actual number of riders inorder for play to be plus ev. ie. y/x > P
i think if that holds then the following general attributes about our hero's skill holds.
comparison of skill

say our hero is twice (A=2) as skillful as any other rider

so hero against 1 rider, hero win 2 times to their 1 so beat the field by 1 (note: A>z)
hero against 2 other riders, hero win 2 times to their 1 each so field wins 2 & tie (note: A=z)
hero against 3 other riders, hero win 2 times to their 1 each so field wins 3 field wins by 1 (note: A<z)
hero against 4 other riders, hero win 2 times to their 1 each so field wins 4 field wins by 2 (note: A<z)
hero against 5 other riders, hero win 2 times to their 1 each so field wins 5 field wins by 3 (note: A<z)
ect...
up to the highest number of riders, twelve
hero against 11 other riders, hero win 2 times to their 1 each so field wins 11 field wins by 10 (note: A<Z)

say hero is three times (A=3) as skillful as any other rider

so hero against 1 rider, hero win 3 times to their 1 so beat the field by 2 (note: A>Z)
hero against 2 other riders, hero win 3 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 1 (note: A>Z)
hero against 3 other riders, hero win 3 times to their 1 each so field wins 3 & tie (note: A=Z)
hero against 4 other riders, hero win 3 times to their 1 each so field wins 4 field wins by 1 (note: A<Z)
hero against 5 other riders, hero win 3 times to their 1 each so field wins 5 field wins by 2 (note: A<Z)
ect...
hero against 11 other riders, hero win 3 times to their 1 each so field wins 11 field wins by 9 (note: A<Z)

ect. .........

time to interject a note here, as it is apparent the following relationships hold:
note: here z is the number of competitors
if A = z then hero ties the field
if A < z then the field beats our hero, (but this doesn't mean hero doesn't make value above his cost)
if A > z then our hero beats the field

so
say hero is 11 times (A=11) as skillful as any other rider

so hero against 1 rider, hero win 11 times to their 1 so beat the field by 10 (note: A>Z)
hero against 2 other riders, hero win 11 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 9 (note: A>Z)
hero against 3 other riders, hero win 11 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 8 (note: A>Z)
hero against 4 other riders, hero win 11 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 7 (note: A>Z)
hero against 5 other riders, hero win 11 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 6 (note: A>Z)
hero against 6 other riders, hero win 11 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 5 (note: A>Z)
ect....
hero against 11 other riders, hero win 11 times to their 1 each so field wins 11 & ties (note: A=Z)

so
say hero is 12 times (A=12) as skillful as any other rider

so hero against 1 rider, hero win 12 times to their 1 so beat the field by 11 (note: A>Z)
hero against 2 other riders, hero win 12 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 10 (note: A>Z)
hero against 3 other riders, hero win 12 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 9 (note: A>Z)
hero against 4 other riders, hero win 12 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 8 (note: A>Z)
hero against 5 other riders, hero win 12 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 7 (note: A>Z)
hero against 6 other riders, hero win 12 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 6 (note: A>Z)
ect....
hero against 11 other riders, hero win 12 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 1 (note: A>Z)

again:
if A = z then hero ties the field (still our hero realizes value above his cost)
if A < z then the field beats our hero, (still our hero realizes value above his cost)
it's a good thing to be able to beat the field as often as possible.
diminishing cost scenario
but suppose that the carnival had a promotion where the cost X of the ride was reduced by dividing the original ride cost by the number of riders while keeping the value of the brass ring the same.

same would be true here but it would be even more significant since the cost of the ride reduces while our hero gets more of the pie, lol.

maybe all that really happens for the most part for both of these scenarios is that our hero gets more plays faster, but definitely i think beating the field more often is a cost saver.

not even sure if this new stuff is correct, rushed to post, cause i'm off to do the real thing, lol.

Machinist

sagefr0g said:
here the ratio of the brass ring value to ride cost must have a greater numerical value than than actual number of riders inorder for play to be plus ev. ie. y/x > P
i think if that holds then the following general attributes about our hero's skill holds.
comparison of skill

say our hero is twice (A=2) as skillful as any other rider

so hero against 1 rider, hero win 2 times to their 1 so beat the field by 1 (note: A>z)
hero against 2 other riders, hero win 2 times to their 1 each so field wins 2 & tie (note: A=z)
hero against 3 other riders, hero win 2 times to their 1 each so field wins 3 field wins by 1 (note: A<z)
hero against 4 other riders, hero win 2 times to their 1 each so field wins 4 field wins by 2 (note: A<z)
hero against 5 other riders, hero win 2 times to their 1 each so field wins 5 field wins by 3 (note: A<z)
ect...
hero against 11 other riders, hero win 2 times to their 1 each so field wins 11 field wins by 10 (note: A<Z)

say hero is three times (A=3) as skillful as any other rider

so hero against 1 rider, hero win 3 times to their 1 so beat the field by 2 (note: A>Z)
hero against 2 other riders, hero win 3 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 1 (note: A>Z)
hero against 3 other riders, hero win 3 times to their 1 each so field wins 3 & tie (note: A=Z)
hero against 4 other riders, hero win 3 times to their 1 each so field wins 4 field wins by 1 (note: A<Z)
hero against 5 other riders, hero win 3 times to their 1 each so field wins 5 field wins by 2 (note: A<Z)
ect...
hero against 11 other riders, hero win 3 times to their 1 each so field wins 11 field wins by 9 (note: A<Z)

ect. .........

time to interject a note here, as it is apparent the following relationships hold:
if A = z then hero ties the field
if A < z then the field beats our hero, (but this doesn't mean hero doesn't make value above his cost)

so
say hero is 11 times (A=11) as skillful as any other rider

so hero against 1 rider, hero win 11 times to their 1 so beat the field by 10 (note: A>Z)
hero against 2 other riders, hero win 11 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 9 (note: A>Z)
hero against 3 other riders, hero win 11 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 8 (note: A>Z)
hero against 4 other riders, hero win 11 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 7 (note: A>Z)
hero against 5 other riders, hero win 11 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 6 (note: A>Z)
hero against 6 other riders, hero win 11 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 5 (note: A>Z)
ect....
hero against 11 other riders, hero win 11 times to their 1 each so field wins 11 & ties (note: A=Z)

so
say hero is 12 times (A=12) as skillful as any other rider

so hero against 1 rider, hero win 12 times to their 1 so beat the field by 11 (note: A>Z)
hero against 2 other riders, hero win 12 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 10 (note: A>Z)
hero against 3 other riders, hero win 12 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 9 (note: A>Z)
hero against 4 other riders, hero win 12 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 8 (note: A>Z)
hero against 5 other riders, hero win 12 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 7 (note: A>Z)
hero against 6 other riders, hero win 12 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 6 (note: A>Z)
ect....
hero against 11 other riders, hero win 12 times to their 1 each so beat the field by 1 (note: A>Z)

again:
if A = z then hero ties the field (still our hero realizes value above his cost)
if A < z then the field beats our hero, (still our hero realizes value above his cost)
it's a good thing to be able to beat the field as often as possible.

same would be true here but it would be even more significant since the cost of the ride reduces while our hero gets more of the pie, lol.

maybe all that really happens for the most part for both of these scenarios is that our hero gets more plays faster, but definitely i think beating the field more often is a cost saver.

not even sure if this new stuff is correct, rushed to post, cause i'm off to do the real thing, lol.
My head hurts!!!:cat::cat:
Ok....if your happy I am also. Your a funny green frog for sure.

Machinist

sagefr0g

Machinist said:
My head hurts!!!:cat::cat:
Ok....if your happy I am also. Your a funny green frog for sure.

Machinist
just push the friggin button???
what the fric boss that's what i'm off to do!!!! geesh!:joker::whip:
i'm outa here!!!!

errhhh, "it's called about fluctuation, get used to it!" :laugh:

Machinist

sagefr0g said:
just push the friggin button???
what the fric boss that's what i'm off to do!!!! geesh!:joker::whip:
i'm outa here!!!!

errhhh, "it's called about fluctuation, get used to it!" :laugh:
:p:p Just reminiscing a bit......thought i might need a new signature.
Good times!!!!!

Machinist