Online Tourney Opinion Please

jerseyshop101

CHECK THIS OUT:
I'm playing in a $22 tourney (35 players)-

Its the last round, last level before the final table.

I'm on first base and just my luck I have to bet 1st on this last round.

I'm in the lead, :grin: and have ($3000) about a $700 chip lead over player3 ($2300) and about $300 chip lead over player4 ($2700), only 2 people advance. The other players were way low on chips, so not concerned with them.

I bet the max $1000 as I'm not only worried about them doubling but also them getting a blackjack. They all bet max also.

I get a 27, Player3 has K9, Player4 gets K2.
Dealer has a 5 showing.

I double, and get a 2 for 11 OUCH!!!
Was me doubling the correct play?

So now I have my 11, Player3 stays on his 19, and Player4 SURRENDERS, now he has 3200, I need a dealer bust! Dealer has King underneath and draws a 4 for 19. I finish 3rd and out of the tournament.:(

Now I wish I would of just hit of course not doubled, in which my 11 would be 15 and I'd stay, and things might of turned out differently. I was more worried about player4 doubling and drawing a low card.

Deciding how much to bet, when to surrender/double makes it an even more enjoyable game in tournament play since it adds more strategy. But I hope not to make many costly mistakes.

What you think? Was I correct in doubling?

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Doubling is a serious mistake here. The only way the extra chips help you at all is if both your opponents successfully double. Player 3 (hard 19) definitely should not double, so neither should you.

Interestingly, if everyone plays in their own best interest, you are a lock even if you stand with your total of only 9! At any rate, just don't bust.

Player 3 should stand with his hard 19 and hope the dealer makes 17, 18, or 19. Player 4 should stand with the hard 12 and hope the dealer busts or the dealer makes 20 or 21. If both do the right thing, you can't lose in your seat, regardless what the dealer makes. (You'll be no worse than second place regardless.)

jerseyshop101

Thanks Ken. I have to get better at knowing these things PRIOR to the game itself, instead of stressing when that clock is counting down for my last second decison.

Thank you.

Last edited:

jerseyshop101

KenSmith said:
Doubling is a serious mistake here. The only way the extra chips help you at all is if both your opponents successfully double. Player 3 (hard 19) definitely should not double, so neither should you.
Interestingly, if everyone plays in their own best interest, you are a lock even if you stand with your total of only 9! At any rate, just don't bust.

Player 3 should stand with his hard 19 and hope the dealer makes 17, 18, or 19. Player 4 should stand with the hard 12 and hope the dealer busts or the dealer makes 20 or 21. If both do the right thing, you can't lose in your seat, regardless what the dealer makes. (You'll be no worse than second place regardless.)
I should of known this :whip:

It looks so easy now after I read this. I made a very bad decision.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Tournament strategy is anything but easy. Fortunately, gaining experience will help a lot in these types of situations.