sexually ambiguous

flyingwind

Hypothetically, if you were holding a card with a gender ambiguous name (like Pat), how could you go about figuring out the gender of the owner?

Canceler said:
The cards I hold usually have names like King or Queen. To my knowledge, I have never held a card named Pat.
But they do have names! The 12 royals in the French pack do traditionally have names, and it's been a long time since I have read them, but you can look it up.

Jack_Black

Automatic Monkey said:
But they do have names! The 12 royals in the French pack do traditionally have names, and it's been a long time since I have read them, but you can look it up.
I know the jacks used to be called "knave." but they changed it because the index Kn looked too close to K for King.

Jack_Black

flyingwind said:
Hypothetically, if you were holding a card with a gender ambiguous name (like Pat), how could you go about figuring out the gender of the owner?
also, WTF kinda question is this? and why do you need to figure it out?

Sucker

Sit at a $5 table, fumble around for the card; as you're giving it to the boss, say to him: "My wife's name happens to be Pat ALSO. Can you check & see if I've given you MY card, or is that HERS?"

On a slightly related topic - a 35 year old friend of mine once gave a card that he found in a machine; the floor man came back from the computer and angrily told him "YOU'RE NOT 68 YEARS OLD!". :laugh: :laugh: Luckily for him, nothing came of it other than the fact that the floorman refused to rate him.

flyingwind said:
First suggestion: if the last name is Irish it is probably a male, and if it is of any other ethnicity it is probably a female.

A better suggestion: call up the number on the card and listen for what kind of voice you get.