Las Vegas entertainer Danny Gans dies

Las Vegas entertainer Danny Gans dies

May 1, 2009, 03:54 PM

Danny Gans, a Las Vegas singer and comedian best known for his impersonation of George Burns, died today at 52, according to CNN. The cause of death has not yet been revealed. Gans' wildly successful Vegas run began in 1996, when he landed a three-month gig at the Stratosphere Hotel. In the intervening years, the Broadway vet had shows at the Mirage Hotel and the Encore Theater at Steve Wynn's Wynn Las Vegas Hotel. He is said to have sold more tickets on the Strip than the Rat Pack or Elvis Presley, and was voted Las Vegas "Entertainer of the Year" for 11 consecutive years. He is survived by his wife and three children. xxx

shadroch

This is a real shame. Mr Gans was pretty freakin talented and brought a lot of joy to hundreds of thousands of people. I saw him once and while I didn't like the music he performed, his talent was quite obvious. He did play a part in a nice little comp scheme I had going a few trips ago, but aside from that, my condolences go out to his wife and family.

May. 01, 2009 | Review Journal

Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

Las Vegas entertainer, 52, dies at home; foul play not suspected

By MIKE WEATHERFORD and DOUG ELFMAN

Usually on show nights, Danny Gans joined his band and crew for a short prayer. But on Friday night, for the first time in years, they prayed without him.

They held each others' hands — tight, so tight — a circle of 16 in the Green Room, near scores of framed photos of Gans posing with old Vegas (George Burns, Bob Hope, Ray Charles) and new Hollywood (Paula Abdul, Tito Martinez, Ben Stiller.)

The 52-year-old impressionist died at his Henderson home early Friday. The cause of death is unknown.

Police conducted a death investigation at the home Friday morning following department procedure, and Henderson police spokesman Todd Rasmussen said investigators don't believe foul play was a factor in Gans' death.

Rasmussen said police received a call about 3:45 a.m. from a woman inside the home in the exclusive Roma Hills gated community off of Horizon Ridge Parkway in Henderson. The woman said that a 52-year-old male was having breathing problems. When officers and paramedics arrived they found the man unresponsive. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A Clark County coroner's office official said an autopsy was performed on Gans' body Friday. The cause of death is unknown pending toxicology studies, which could take between two to four weeks.

Gans' manager Chip Lightman texted with Gans on Thursday.

"Everything seemed fine. The only difference was, on his day off, he would usually run errands and stuff, and he was exhausted. He hadn't slept well the night before. He laid down in the late afternoon."

Gans' wife woke up in the middle of the night, rolled over and touched Gans.

"She didn't feel him breathing," Lightman said.

MORE- http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas-entertainer-52-dies-home-foul-play-not-suspected