15 against 10 or ace

Can someone please help me better understand the reason for hitting on a 15 vs a dealer ace rather than surrendering? I am refering to basic strategy for a 6 or 8 deck game with late surrender where dealer stands on soft 17. I understand surrendering vs the 10 but why not surrender against an ace? I think I've got a fairly good understanding of mathematics and I've been able to see the reason for most basic strategy rules but I have never liked that particular play. If anyone can point me in the right direction here I would appreciate it. Thanks

sagefr0g

palroot said:
Can someone please help me better understand the reason for hitting on a 15 vs a dealer ace rather than surrendering? I am refering to basic strategy for a 6 or 8 deck game with late surrender where dealer stands on soft 17. I understand surrendering vs the 10 but why not surrender against an ace? I think I've got a fairly good understanding of mathematics and I've been able to see the reason for most basic strategy rules but I have never liked that particular play. If anyone can point me in the right direction here I would appreciate it. Thanks
one way to think of it is just according to the expected value of the play.
a common sort of sense reason i couldn't say.
edit: but one thing to think about in regard to your concerns it may be that you would surrender depending on some count at some index number for a basic strategy departure, ect.
for example examine the ev's in red in the bottom image. there you might surrender instead of hit.

hitting is just a wee bit less worse than surrendering, lol......
in the image below note the expected values in red:

Attachments