I finally did it!

Koz1984

The final hand before the cut card, TC was +10, I was dealt a pair of 10s v a dealer 5 with a max bet out. I had never been presented with an opportunity to split 10s before, and whilst the count warranted the move, I know many people are adverse to such play. However, I thought I just had to give it a try!

The first hand, I was dealt a 2 for 12. Not a great card. Naturally, I stood.

The next hand, a 10 for 20. I split again. Three hands out.

The final hand, a 3 for 13. Again, terrible, however, the count was growing so I felt reasonably comfortable the dealer would bust.

The dealer showed me an 8 then a 9 to bust. It was a great moment, I received praise from a couple players around me for the win. If only the cut card didn't come out, the next round would have been fantastic!

Nice

Koz1984 said:
The final hand before the cut card, TC was +10, I was dealt a pair of 10s v a dealer 5 with a max bet out. I had never been presented with an opportunity to split 10s before, and whilst the count warranted the move, I know many people are adverse to such play. However, I thought I just had to give it a try!

The final hand, a 3 for 13. Again, terrible, however, the count was growing so I felt reasonably comfortable the dealer would bust.

The dealer showed me an 8 then a 9 to bust. It was a great moment, I received praise from a couple players around me for the win. If only the cut card didn't come out, the next round would have been fantastic!
Congrats, very :cool:

CP

Wookets

Koz1984 said:
If only the cut card didn't come out, the next round would have been fantastic!
This is something I've always pondered. Is it worth splitting 10s when you could possibly get another round in with a higher bet? Not to mention the added scrutiny of the move itself.

Wookets said:
This is something I've always pondered Is it worth splitting 10s when you could possibly get another round in with a higher bet? Not to mention the added scrutiny of the move itself.
The subsequent round +EV will NOT equal the immediate +EV of the 10s... notwithstanding the exposure. zg

aslan

Koz1984 said:

You did not say what your second hand was (10/2, 10/?, 10/3) but assuming it was a small card, say, a 4, since you said the count was growing, the count advanced to +11 assuming 8's and 9's are neutral cards. You would have a 5.5% advantage on the next hand. That by no means says that the next round would be fantastic. If the next hand were known to be fantastic, I would bet the farm; as it is, I would not risk more than my predetermined max bet. But I am happy you were successful and played correctly solely in terms of advantage. A large percentage of the time you will not be so lucky; keep that in mind when deciding to risk heat/longevity by giving up an almost sure win for a possibly increased win amount. Congratulations! Just keep it in perspective. ;)

I have the exact same story (even getting another 20 and splitting again) in REVERSE including a part about the player betting $5 a hand screaming at the top of his lungs at me for stealing the dealer's bust card, haha.

Ferretnparrot

zengrifter said:
The subsequent round +EV will NOT equal the immediate +EV of the 10s... notwithstanding the exposure. zg
ABSO****INGLUTELY!

If you cant grasp the fact that splitting tens is worth more than a whole round, your missing out on a very important concept that can lead to lots of future advantageous decisions.

I also want to chime in that during my vegas trip i split tens to 4 hands with chunky green, and the dealer called over the pit boss because she couldnt beleive it, and the pit boss shook my hand and gave me a buffet. SO all this stuff about cover, not so much, if they are going to catch you, it wont be because you split tens, it will be the fact that you are counting plain and simple

Gamblor

Ferretnparrot said:
ABSO****INGLUTELY!

If you cant grasp the fact that splitting tens is worth more than a whole round, your missing out on a very important concept that can lead to lots of future advantageous decisions.

I also want to chime in that during my vegas trip i split tens to 4 hands with chunky green, and the dealer called over the pit boss because she couldnt beleive it, and the pit boss shook my hand and gave me a buffet. SO all this stuff about cover, not so much, if they are going to catch you, it wont be because you split tens, it will be the fact that you are counting plain and simple
There are some caveats to that. Again, the EV for splitting 10's vs 5/6 at a +5 TC is not much greater than the EV for standing with your 20.

You could just as well recount a hand where you split 10's, catch a 2 and 7, and dealer flips over a 10 and gets a 3 for an 18 or 19.

As far as cover, I usually don't split 10's, probably has a lot to do with my style of play. I can very well imagine someone with a different style would want to split 10s.

FLASH1296

I once watched a player split 10's against a dealer SIX at a count that warranted it.

He pushed. The Pit Critter immediately pulled the cards from the discard rack. He was 86'd on the spot.

Clearly, the splitting of tens at the correct True Count is highly advantageous.

If one wishes to split 10's, I suggest that the situation be handled much like when considering a double or split with "Risk Aversion" in mind.

Simply use a higher Index than would otherwise be "correct"; adding one or two to whatever your count indicates to be correct.

aslan

FLASH1296 said:

I once watched a player split 10's against a dealer SIX at a count that warranted it.

He pushed. The Pit Critter immediately pulled the cards from the discard rack. He was 86'd on the spot.

Clearly, the splitting of tens at the correct True Count is highly advantageous.

If one wishes to split 10's, I suggest that the situation be handled much like when considering a double or split with "Risk Aversion" in mind.

Simply use a higher Index than would otherwise be "correct"; adding one or two to whatever your count indicates to be correct.
Splitting tens against a dealer 5 or 6 comes up so infrequently when I play that I doubt the difference between doing so at +8 or +5 would make any difference. If the opportunity only came up at +8, what would that do to mislead anyone anyway?

In my limited experience, a pit guy generally does not know what the count is, only that, in the case of some of them, splitting tens is a counter move, and in the case of others of them, it is a stupid ploppy move. If you're set on splitting tens, just do it. You won't get by the one who thinks it's a counter move, but you will get by the other guy.

If you're a hit and run player, it probably won't matter anyway, since you're on your way out of Dodge anyway. I don't do it because I like to return to Dodge frequently and don't want to burn my image indelibly into anyone's memory.

Wookets

Ferretnparrot said:
As others have hinted at in this thread, EV is meaningless if you're longevity is compromised. Sure, there's a time and a place to split 10s, but in some situations you're going to get burned for it. Recognizing when it's appropriate is key.