An introduction and Q on Tournament Play

First off, hello everyone and thanks to one and all for providing this incredible resource!

While I'm new to posting, I have been lurking for quite a while and thought I would make a first post regarding the upcoming Blackjack Tournament at the Golden Nugget. It's a $100 buy-in and a $15,000 prize pool.

A little bit about me first - I moved to Vegas three years ago and lost between $7000-$10000 gambling on slots and at the tables my first year. Then I stopped playing and then, I got pissed. I started reading online, and from those resources I memorized the basic strategy chart forward and back, with flip-cards and everything.

I thought to myself - now I'm sure to win! Haha, I was quite the fool, but I did lose less, but I still lost. Then, I started researching betting strategies and they all seemed foolish (bet more until you win, bet up, then down and then more until you lose, what?). I then decided that enough was enough, got off my seat and went to the local bookstore where I began to read and bought Blackwood's book, Play Blackjack Like the Pros.

And so, I studied Hi-Lo and began practicing. After eight-weeks now, and logging between 2-3 hours per night of practice (whether it's counting down a deck (most recent results between 18-24 seconds, 38 seconds for two decks), or counting and betting through 1-2 decks in a play scenario), including weekends, I went out this week and tried my skills at the tables.

Things worked well. I played SD and DD and won $120 the first night (won...that was something new), won $140 the second night, and then today, my third "afternoon" (up in Sparks) I won $220. So I'm three for three. Now, I'm sure I'll lose and am prepared to do so - but not without a fight. And I'm going to continue to get better, practice hard and make a go of this (not full time tho, as, well, like most others, I have a pretty decent 9-5) I'm considering studying up on one of the more advanced counting schemes and trying to get a handle on a six deck shoe, estimating deck sizes for true count equations and etc.

Nonetheless, that's my story. But, I wanted to get everyone's insight in to the Golden Nugget Blackjack Tournament and perhaps any good reading (Blackwood's section is good, but maybe there is a whole wealth of information elsewhere that I should be learning) I can absorb in order to play better in a tournament. It's on June 8 and 9 I think.

So there it is, my first post, out of the shadows and on to the floor.

I live in Vegas, so I'm always reading what's new and the happenings of the city. Look for me around - I'm the guy counting the cards. Hopefully, you won't spot me. LOL!

Thanks! VegasGuy0705