Getting Backed Off?

A few weeks ago I was on Freemont Street playing the DD tables when I was told I could not raise my bets anymore, only flat bet.
My questions are: What was I doing wrong that got me caught? and How long should I wait til I return?

My spread was $5-$35 and I played two 4 hour sessions. I was told to flat bet at the end of my second session. I was up around $600 at the time.

Thanks,

bj bob

CountThis said:
A few weeks ago I was on Freemont Street playing the DD tables when I was told I could not raise my bets anymore, only flat bet.
My questions are: What was I doing wrong that got me caught? and How long should I wait til I return?

My spread was $5-$35 and I played two 4 hour sessions. I was told to flat bet at the end of my second session. I was up around $600 at the time.

Thanks,
It looks as though your bet spread (1:7) was in line with DD, so that wasn't the big problem. Your sessions however ,were. Two four hour sessions in one day...WAY TOO MUCH! You gave the pit / surveillance an entire working day to figure you out. Next time keep the sessions for DD under 2 hours / day. As far as when to return. I really can't help you without knowing the name of the joint that flat-betted you.

Last edited:

shadroch

What were you betting off the top? If it was $5,you were spreading too much. You are better off starting with $10. Even if you drop to $5 on negative counts,it still looks more like you are spreading $10-35. Thats a 3.5 X spread,as oppopssed to your 7X spread. Much over 5X is pushing it,imho.
Downtown, I will let a winning $20 bet ride. That doesn't look as bad as upping your bets on losing hands.
I'd flat bet table minimums on my next visit, esp. if you were playing with a card when you got asked to FB. better to sacrifice a short session than burn the place out.

Thanks for the info guys. I was playing at the El Cortez. I spent so much time there because I couldnt find any other low stake DD games downtown worth playing.

cardcounter0

:laugh:I was up around $600 at the time.:laugh:

This was probably the whole reason you were backed off. The El Cortez is a notorious sweat shop, and $600 probably represents the entire day's drop they get from the rest of the degenerate broke losers who play there.

shadroch

In the EC, try betting 6 red instead of a green/red combo. They sweat green chips bigtime. I've been told to avoid the swing shift,so I only play early mornings/late nite.
As far as when you should return,EC has very short memories.

chichow

If you base bet was $5 dollars and then you were up $600, then you were up 125 units.

Yeah I can see why they backed you off during those sessions.

I myself am guilty of getting backed off and put into the computer. For me it was part of the learning experience.

If I need comps, then I will put in the time at 6D shoe games for those 4h/day.
I'm not going to put in that amount of time at DD, because you will get caught at some point if you are putting in extensive time at DD, winning, and using a players card.

Then again, if you are not frequent to Vegas, then burn it out and just don't go again :)

Guynoire

Do you guys think that playing video poker is a good way to diffuse heat, they have good video poker at the el cortez, or am I giving surveillance way too little credit?

Guynoire said:
Do you guys think that playing video poker is a good way to diffuse heat, they have good video poker at the el cortez, or am I giving surveillance way too little credit?
It may diffuse long-term heat but not short-term heat.

In other words, if surveillance is counting with you and they decide to back you off, they're not going to let you go because you are playing VP. But if they are looking at your long-term win/loss record, you might get away with something if you are also a big machine player. One way to interpret your record would be that you are an all-around gambler who has been lucky at the BJ tables.

But the El Cortez is in a category by itself. Who knows what they will do.

shadroch said:
In the EC, try betting 6 red instead of a green/red combo. They sweat green chips bigtime. I've been told to avoid the swing shift,so I only play early mornings/late nite.
As far as when you should return,EC has very short memories.
He's right you should be able to return sooner then you think. Your winning streak is probably what got their attention $600 is like $10000 to them. Next time play a shorter session, and pocket your green chips.