tournament blackjack

sagefr0g

looks like pretty soon (too soon to read Ken's book) i'm gonna play in a blackjack tournament. :eek:
howsa bout a nice quick and dirty general sort of run down on how to go about it. :rolleyes:

mrbill

Probably best to ask on the sister blackjacktournaments.com web site.

Couple questions you'll need answer to before you'll get an answer

1. What Type of tournament is it, Elimination, Accumulation or a combination.
  2. What is your starting bankroll and betting limits
  3. How many hands
  4. How many rounds

Elimination usually means the top 1 or 2 at each table move on to the next round. 2 is better.

Accumulation means the top x bankrolls move on. There are formulas to calculate the target bankroll as a guide.

A combination will usually be Accumulation in the early rounds and Elimination in the later rounds.

jack.jackson

The best place to play tourney blackjack is at (Dead link: http://bet21.com/)

Im pickle juice and I challenge anyone to some tournament blackjack, except for Ken Smith:p That means you MR. frog:)

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
One very simple idea that will give you a good shot:

If it is an elimination style event (competing against only your table), then bet minimum for most of the round. Late in the round, hopefully you can use one big bet to pass the leaders. After that, match their bets.

If it is an accumulation style event (competing against all chip totals), bet the max from the first hand. Switch to minimum bets when you feel your total is enough to win, or you bust out trying.

As Jack Jackson says, we talk about this stuff endlessly over at https://www.blackjacktournaments.com/
You can find plenty of threads about general advice.

Mr. T

Having played in a few tournaments and getting into the final in the last tournament I would second Ken's advice here.
You want to use your big guns (bets) for the last few rounds and only if you need to catch up with leader.
Your make or break last bet is usually the mark of a good tournament player.

sagefr0g

KenSmith said:
One very simple idea that will give you a good shot:

If it is an elimination style event (competing against only your table), then bet minimum for most of the round. Late in the round, hopefully you can use one big bet to pass the leaders. After that, match their bets.

If it is an accumulation style event (competing against all chip totals), bet the max from the first hand. Switch to minimum bets when you feel your total is enough to win, or you bust out trying.

As Jack Jackson says, we talk about this stuff endlessly over at https://www.blackjacktournaments.com/
You can find plenty of threads about general advice.
by bet the max from the first hand for an accumulation style event does that mean the table max?
oh and what if you lose that bet, still try again with a max bet?
oh and don't even try and wait to see if you get a countwise favorable situation, just bet the max on the first hand?

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
sagefr0g said:
by bet the max from the first hand for an accumulation style event does that mean the table max?
oh and what if you lose that bet, still try again with a max bet?
oh and don't even try and wait to see if you get a countwise favorable situation, just bet the max on the first hand?
Yes, max bet from the first hand. If you lose it (and have any chips left!) then make a max bet again.

Why not wait for a good count? Even the very slight chance that you'll win/lose/win/lose all round long make any wasted hands at the beginning more costly than waiting for a good count. Really. I've run tons of sims on this. If you are targeting a goal of multiple max bets won, you are better off firing away starting at hand one than waiting for a good count.

Reminder: This ONLY applies to accumulation style events.

Sage

Wise One,

The tourney is a 3 rounder, the first 2 rounds take 2 off each table with one spot going to high chip count of the losers. BJ pays 2to 1, 4 deck or 2 deck, max bet $500, doa,das, es against ace, no surrender, no insurance.

CP

sagefr0g

creeping panther said:
Wise One,

The tourney is a 3 rounder, the first 2 rounds take 2 off each table with one spot going to high chip count of the losers. BJ pays 2to 1, 4 deck or 2 deck, max bet $500, doa,das, es against ace, no surrender, no insurance.

CP
thank you stealthy one, lol.
so i guess Ken would call this an elimination style tourney?

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, this is an accumulation style event. Therefore, my advice of making minimum bets for much of the round is appropriate. That's true even though blackjacks pay 2:1 making the game a positive return for all players.

Why not bet more aggressively early in the round since you have an edge? The value of big bets is asymmetrical. If you lose your big bets, the damage is severe. If you win the big bets that's good but not to the same degree.

Consider the simplest example... Say you go all-in early in the round. If you lose the bet, you're out of the tournament. If you win the bet, you have improved your position but you aren't guaranteed to win the round because your opponents still have time to catch you.

Waiting until later in the round to make your catch-up bets is more valuable for that reason. The key is to wait, but not too long. As long as you are only one bet away from the leaders you can be very patient. if they stretch to a multiple bet lead you'll need to make a decision about when to move.

sagefr0g

KenSmith said:
Yes, this is an accumulation style event. Therefore, my advice of making minimum bets for much of the round is appropriate. That's true even though blackjacks pay 2:1 making the game a positive return for all players.

Why not bet more aggressively early in the round since you have an edge? The value of big bets is asymmetrical. If you lose your big bets, the damage is severe. If you win the big bets that's good but not to the same degree.

Consider the simplest example... Say you go all-in early in the round. If you lose the bet, you're out of the tournament. If you win the bet, you have improved your position but you aren't guaranteed to win the round because your opponents still have time to catch you.

Waiting until later in the round to make your catch-up bets is more valuable for that reason. The key is to wait, but not too long. As long as you are only one bet away from the leaders you can be very patient. if they stretch to a multiple bet lead you'll need to make a decision about when to move.
thank you Ken, i think you mean elimination style?:)
go the min bet route at first in the elimination style and try and beat the leader in the latter rounds sort of thing, right?
lol, i sort of lost but i've been reading your write up on this site:
it's helping just it's all new to me.http://www.blackjackinfo.com/blackjack-tournaments.php

sagefr0g

much thanks

i sure appreciate the advice guys.
lol, i made it to the final table (third table).
unfortunately tapped out on the final table while trying to over take a couple or three players that had gotten pretty far ahead of me.
lol, i think i did a quadruple split of tens with two double down follow ups trying, but ended up losing that round.
if i'd of won that round it woulda been Katie bar the door.:)

Sandy Eggo

:toast:Well done to make the final table first time out.

Frog, that's the way I play mine -- most nights. Occassionally, if size of chips permits (25/100 on a 100 min bet), I'll kick the min bet to 150 or if I had hit 3 of 4 on a quad-split with at least one double, I'll kick to 250 on a 100min tourney.

Now, I'll wager Ken will disagree with me here...I insure all dealer's Aces in a tourney. (reason for those easily dividable wagers) I may lose ~60% in tourney play, the 40% I hit are when the table has those max bets out there while I'm still in small bet land. I just saved my chips and they took a huge loss. A few rookie players will chase their chips and make a bad move, and with hopes there another dealer-Ace in the next hand to play.

The best part of this, if it's happening a lot, and others follow me...AND I'm now last to bet, I *DON'T* take insurance as my experience has shown that they will lose their big ins. bets and I lose 100. Now they are upset, and will play the hand wrong losing their bet as well. :devil:

This is where female logic, psychology, and just tracking Aces has helped me.

jack.jackson

sagefr0g said:
i sure appreciate the advice guys.
lol, i made it to the final table (third table).
unfortunately tapped out on the final table while trying to over take a couple or three players that had gotten pretty far ahead of me.
lol, i think i did a quadruple split of tens with two double down follow ups trying, but ended up losing that round.
if i'd of won that round it woulda been Katie bar the door.:)
I love to see, other players jaw drop, when doubling on S21 after a x4 split. HaHa......There reaction..is like WTF:confused: I didnt even know you could do that???

Heeeeey... you've been playing tournaments? I thought, we were supposed to throw-down over at Bet21 on some tourneys? I see how it is. My feelings are so hurt:sad: You're a red tailed, two-headed, Alabama rattle snake, from being be-friended there bud. Haha:joker:

sagefr0g

jack said:
I love to see, other players jaw drop, when doubling on S21 after a x4 split. HaHa......There reaction..is like WTF:confused: I didnt even know you could do that???

Heeeeey... you've been playing tournaments? I thought, we were supposed to throw-down over at Bet21 on some tourneys? I see how it is. My feelings are so hurt:sad: You're a red tailed, two-headed, Alabama rattle snake, from being be-friended there bud. Haha:joker:
lol, sorry i missed you, i did log on and didn't find you.:(:whip: