Tropicanas "1,000,000" dollar blackjack tournament

Ferretnparrot

well, i got the goods on the blackjack tournament, and am shocked to say, that its a SHAM!!, i was skeptical when i read "for a chance to win 1 million dollars" on the sign, and thats exactly what it is.....

This is how it works, between the dates listed, i think it was november 15th, through febuary 15th, all blackjack play played during that period makes you elligable for an entree into the tournament, if during that period, you accumulate 250 points, you will be registered to enter.

The tournament, is a 35k tournament!!!! with prizes dibied reletively unevenly, and i dont specifically recall what they were other tha the fact that the last 5 places were all 1k prize.

after the tournament, every player who entered the tournament gets there "chance at 1 million dollars", by playing with the dealer at a "special table"

At the special table you get a number of hands, i dont recall how many, durring this time, if any player is dealt THREE count em three 7s, of which all three have to be the 7 of hearts!!!! you win 1 million dollars.

Being the generous peopel that they are, they are prepaired to give the one million dollar prize to up to 3 people! in the "likely event" that three 7s of hearts are dealt to more than one person.

Sounds pretty lame to me

Ferretnparrot said:
...At the special table you get a number of hands, i dont recall how many, durring this time, if any player is dealt THREE count em three 7s, of which all three have to be the 7 of hearts!!!! you win 1 million dollars...
Well that explains the 4 deck shoes.

nj45lady

How many dollars and hours played does it take to earn 250 points?
I am nowhere near that, they told me on Saturday you have to earn your
points at the 4 deck tables. sometimes I play the 6. ERGH

rollem411

nj45lady said:
How many dollars and hours played does it take to earn 250 points?
I am nowhere near that, they told me on Saturday you have to earn your
points at the 4 deck tables. sometimes I play the 6. ERGH
Based upon the points I've accumulated over the past 2 months I would assume it's around 1.5 pts per hour. I keep a log of my hours played and sessions so I'd assume it to be around that figure.

If you don't collect enough points to be entered for free and you still want to enter, the cost is discounted. I'm pretty sure it's a dollar for every point.

Ferret, I was told you get 1 hand and any 3 7's against the dealer will get you the million.

shadroch

It's marketing. It's done all the time. I help run a "Million Dollar Golf Tournament" each year. Its a charity for my High School. The person who wins the tournament, the person closest to the hole on a designated hole, the person who hits the straightest drive on a different hole, anyone who gets a hole in one and two random entrys get to take one shot at a very tough par three from the Championship tees. Get a hole in one and you win a million bucks.Actually it's $40,000 for 25 years or $450,000 up front.

Ferretnparrot

rollem411 said:
Based upon the points I've accumulated over the past 2 months I would assume it's around 1.5 pts per hour. I keep a log of my hours played and sessions so I'd assume it to be around that figure.

If you don't collect enough points to be entered for free and you still want to enter, the cost is discounted. I'm pretty sure it's a dollar for every point.

Ferret, I was told you get 1 hand and any 3 7's against the dealer will get you the million.
You know, i thought bi coudl trust the representative of tropicana i talked to, she did of course have to go ask the marketing dept about the promotion before he called me back an hour later, she also used the words, "ummm" ...."uhhhh"...and "i think" enough to make me not trust her very much, she sould have been mistaken but she definately said 7 of hearts.

It wasnt a very impresive display of customer service or knowedgable staff.

EasyRhino

that million dollars is probably insured too, eh?

My Dad was actually in a golf tournament that did something similar. He ended up in a three way hole-in-one tiebreker. Hitting an ace would have won something like a million bucks, which no one did. But he got closest to the hole, and the prize was something like a rolex.

(Sounded good, but then the next day he did checking and learned that the watch value would make him ineligible to play in any USGA amateur events for a few years, so he decided to return it).

shadroch

Yep, it's insured through an agency in California. They send a local representitive to the event, and it cost about $2,000. Last years big winner got an 18 month lease on some souped up Mercedes sports car, which the company donated to us.