Playing Downtown

Diver

Is it possible to even play green chips at some of the Downtown joints like El Cortez without assuring you'll be quickly backed off or flattened? One comment suggested placing six nickels rather than a nickel and a quarter in order to draw less heat. Does that pretty much rule out the notion of using a $50 unit at those tables, seeing that ten nickels would seem pretty wierd- or would it? Obviously I've never played Downtown.

shadroch

I've seen many players playing multiple green chips. A few trips ago, I saw a spanish gentleman spreading anywhere from one red chip to thirty red chips. He refused payouts in green and was , in general, a pain in the ass.
I spread $3-$25 with almost no heat. There is much less heat on their DD than on their SD. I like the DD better anyways as its dealt face-up as oppossed to the SD game.
Stay away from the swing shift, remove your Card Counter sign and keep your spreads decent and you should be okay.

EasyRhino

I've bet greens there for very short sessions without problem. Although "green action" gets called out, and I think "checks play" kicked in around $50.

But the sessions were very short. For some reason the place gave me the heebee jeebies.

jimbiggs

Diver said:
Is it possible to even play green chips at some of the Downtown joints like El Cortez without assuring you'll be quickly backed off or flattened? One comment suggested placing six nickels rather than a nickel and a quarter in order to draw less heat. Does that pretty much rule out the notion of using a $50 unit at those tables, seeing that ten nickels would seem pretty wierd- or would it? Obviously I've never played Downtown.

You can easily play greens, but if you try to spread with greens you will be watched closely. You may be able to spread with greens at Binion's for a short session depending on how busy they are. Only problem is most dealers cut it down to Rof5 or worse when your bets get big. Preferential shuffling is what makes single deck suck.