beginner question

QFIT

rams said:
Instead of counting both hi and low cards, would counting just the hi cards
be a legitmate counting system?
Several people have claimed to be the first to invent this:) (Quik Count, Drunk Count, Speed Count, OPP) Problem is there are high, low and neutral cards. If you count only the high cards (or low cards) then you are counting the neutral cards as low cards (or high cards.) And that destroys the efficiency of the count. The risk inherent with the low edge and volatility of card counting makes this impractical.

Sonny

It would be legitimate but very weak. Systems like Speed Count and OPP use that method. The results are much worse than systems like KO and HiLo for the same amount of effort.

-Sonny-

sagefr0g

just counting the high cards is also a lot like Renzy's ace/ten front count in Blackjack Bluebook II.
you reach certain thresh holds for that count for some given number of decks started with and number of decks seen and bet accordingly sort of thing. there's a lot of wonging in and out involved as well. the advantage gleaned is pretty low, something like around 1/4% depending on how you do it.

ohbehave

Counting only high cards does not work well. But, counting just low cards does work and yes its the basis for the OPP count.

The system is described in detail at Arnold Snyder's site blackjackforumonline.com.

This system is a different kind of count from a traditional counting strategy. You should read the OPP explanation to get a thorough understanding of how it works.

The OPP count is not as strong as other counts but its appeal is that with its simplicity you will make fewer mistakes and be able to cover easily.

I use it and like it at double deck but don't recommend it for shoe games. I believe if used with the right bet ramp it can be an effective count. I'm still working on my system to get the best returns.

QFIT

ohbehave said:
Counting only high cards does not work well. But, counting just low cards does work and yes its the basis for the OPP count.

The system is described in detail at Arnold Snyder's site blackjackforumonline.com.

This system is a different kind of count from a traditional counting strategy. You should read the OPP explanation to get a thorough understanding of how it works.

The OPP count is not as strong as other counts but its appeal is that with its simplicity you will make fewer mistakes and be able to cover easily.

I use it and like it at double deck but don't recommend it for shoe games. I believe if used with the right bet ramp it can be an effective count. I'm still working on my system to get the best returns.

I disagree. You should NOT read the explanation as it exaggerates the effectiveness of the count. In my opinion, Basic Strategy is less risky.