counting basics

Just started practicing card counting for the 1st time (hi-lo).
During a simulated game consisting of three hands I count all the cards first and then I calculate my own hand to determine if I should hit. The problem is
now that I have both the running count number plus my hand number (i.e.
4 cards that total 19) I can't remember the running count figure.
What is the best method?
Should I sit at 1st base, determine my own hand first, then start counting ?

Sonny

Take a step back

Keep practicing. If you need to add up the cards in your hand then you are not ready for card counting yet. Keep playing basic strategy until you can look at any two-card hand and know what the total is without adding them. Keep practicing until you don’t have to do any math when you see your hit cards. You should be able to know your hand total faster than the dealer can deal the cards. You must perfect your basic strategy skills first. After that you will be ready to practice card counting. If you try to learn both at the same time you will get very frustrated and make lots of mistakes.

-Sonny-

ohbehave

Sonny said:
Keep practicing. If you need to add up the cards in your hand then you are not ready for card counting yet. Keep playing basic strategy until you can look at any two-card hand and know what the total is without adding them. Keep practicing until you don’t have to do any math when you see your hit cards. You should be able to know your hand total faster than the dealer can deal the cards. You must perfect your basic strategy skills first. After that you will be ready to practice card counting. If you try to learn both at the same time you will get very frustrated and make lots of mistakes.

-Sonny-
Then 3 and 4 card totals without adding. Then you get to where you make your next decision before getting your next card based on the possibilities of that next card. All without adding. Practice thousands of hands of basic strategy and this will come naturally.