Blackjack Switch Basic Strategy

DonR

Most, if not all BS charts for Blackjack Switch (including the one at wizardofodds.com) are set for the H17 rule. However, the games I have in my area are all S17, which are supposed to be better (unfortunately, almost all of them are dealt from CSM's, but I found one, that is dealt from an ASM, and I played it a few times).

I wonder, since the game is S17, if it's okay to use the same BS, that I would normally use for an 8D game? Are some BS changes still required, because of the 22 push rule?

I've played it pretty much the same way, as I would play a regular BJ game, using the count mostly for insurance purposes, I18 deviations, and some minor bet increases. So far, I haven't had too much luck with this game. I haven't lost a lot, a few times about broke even, and a few times lost about 10-15 bets, but I am under the impression that this game is not easy to beat. It's very tricky winning both hands, and that 22 push rule seems to be a huge killer.

Do you guys think that this game can be beaten? Any ideas about the proper BS for an 8D, S17 game?

Geoff Hall

Stand Soft 17

DonR said:
Most, if not all BS charts for Blackjack Switch (including the one at wizardofodds.com) are set for the H17 rule. However, the games I have in my area are all S17, which are supposed to be better (unfortunately, almost all of them are dealt from CSM's, but I found one, that is dealt from an ASM, and I played it a few times).

I wonder, since the game is S17, if it's okay to use the same BS, that I would normally use for an 8D game? Are some BS changes still required, because of the 22 push rule?

I've played it pretty much the same way, as I would play a regular BJ game, using the count mostly for insurance purposes, I18 deviations, and some minor bet increases. So far, I haven't had too much luck with this game. I haven't lost a lot, a few times about broke even, and a few times lost about 10-15 bets, but I am under the impression that this game is not easy to beat. It's very tricky winning both hands, and that 22 push rule seems to be a huge killer.

Do you guys think that this game can be beaten? Any ideas about the proper BS for an 8D, S17 game?
Hi Don

I think I know where you're playing. I still need to dust off the analyzer sometime as I haven't got any of the tables for 'Stand S17'.

However, I do remember a couple of changes for S17. They were to hit 12 verses a dealer 5 & 6. I don't think there were any other changes but not totally sure.

callipygian

DonR said:
Any ideas about the proper BS for an 8D, S17 game?
No easy one. Keep in mind that the "strategy chart" on wizardofodds isn't exactly super-useful. You have to memorize a chart of 350 numbers, add six times, and compare two sums in order to make a correct BS decision.

The rules for when to switch defy any good blanket statement. Even general rules such as Snyder's "win/push/chance/lose" classification (from BBBJ) only encompass about 90% of the hands seen. While the theoretical house edge for the game is lower than that of regular blackjack, playing solely by intuition will only get the house edge down to 1% or so.

EOR's are similar to standard blackjack if switched blackjacks beat dealer 21. If switched blackjacks push, aces become significantly weaker.

Given that you aren't a memorization god, you need a pretty big bet spread to beat Switch. On the other hand, there's a chance nobody will notice if you spread 1:100.

Edit: D'oh. I think you meant basic strategy = "after I switch, how do I play basic strategy", as opposed to basic strategy = "how do I switch".

Infinite Deck, S17, LS, DAS, DOA, RSall. Perfect switching = +0.08%

Code:
Hard	19	18	17	16	15	14	13	12	11	10	9	8	7	6	5
10	S	S	S	R/H	R/H	H	H	H	H	H	H	H	H	H	H
9	S	S	S	R/H	H	H	H	H	D/H	H	H	H	H	H	H
8	S	S	S	H	H	H	H	H	D/H	D/H	H	H	H	H	H
7	S	S	S	H	H	H	H	H	D/H	D/H	H	H	H	H	H
6	S	S	S	S	S	S	S	H	D/H	D/H	D/H	H	H	H	H
5	S	S	S	S	S	S	S	H	D/H	D/H	H	H	H	H	H
4	S	S	S	S	S	S	S	H	D/H	D/H	H	H	H	H	H
3	S	S	S	S	S	S	S	H	D/H	D/H	H	H	H	H	H
2	S	S	S	S	S	H	H	H	D/H	D/H	H	H	H	H	H