Index justification

Hey all,

I've been working on memorizing more index plays. I find it easier to remember the numbers when I can think through the numbers logically. But 2 index numbers are giving me some trouble.

In Wong's book for a H17 multideck game, he says 9,9 vs A, split at +1.
For 10vA, double at +3.

I was just wondering why you need such a higher count to double a 10. I would think a 20 would be worth more than 2 19s for the same amount of money. It's not that I don't trust Wong, logic just helps me memorize the tables. Thanks for your help guys :)

RedChipper

EasyRhino

10v10 is a very risky play. While the EV comes ahead at a semi low count (it might be higher than +3 in a S17 game?), the doubled variance makes many people only play it at a substantially higher count.

As for 9,9, just remember that 18 is, on average, still a losing hand. Two 19s would be better. Especially against an A where you know the dealer doesn't have a blackjack.

SD Padres

I think the splitting of 9,9 vs A is more of a defensive move as opposed to the doubling of 10 vs A which would be offensive at +3.

With the double on 10 vs A you are only receiving one card so you would want a higher count to justify that move.

With the splitting of 9,9 you are able to split and draw more that one card per split hand.

Sonny

RedChipper said:
In Wong's book for a H17 multideck game, he says 9,9 vs A, split at +1.
For 10vA, double at +3.

I was just wondering why you need such a higher count to double a 10.
When you double down, you lose the option of taking another card if you get a bad hand. When you split, you still have the opportunity to hit, split again, and/or double down until you get a good hand. If you plan on doubling your ten you will want a better chance of getting a good hand with only one card.

-Sonny-