Would you count cards for fun?

celadore

I've started to hear those dreaded words: "He's counting". I know it won't be long before I start getting the back offs, even though I've managed to throw some heavy cover and protect my playing status.

I've lately been wondering if it would be advisable to play a break even game to dull suspicions. Which makes me wonder - would you still count cards it it was just for fun?

i.e. You play a game with an EV of 0. In the long run you are going to break even. But you get some free drinks, some free food and some other comps along the way.

nottooshabby

celadore said:
I've started to hear those dreaded words: "He's counting". I know it won't be long before I start getting the back offs, even though I've managed to throw some heavy cover and protect my playing status.

I've lately been wondering if it would be advisable to play a break even game to dull suspicions. Which makes me wonder - would you still count cards it it was just for fun?

i.e. You play a game with an EV of 0. In the long run you are going to break even. But you get some free drinks, some free food and some other comps along the way.

Give me free food, drinks, shows, and nights in warm places while it's cold in the northeast . . . at this point you'd be well over breaking even! :)

callipygian

celadore said:
would you still count cards it it was just for fun?
Not only would I, but I do. I give away half of my EV in tips and I'll need to play for 175 more years to reach my N0 at the rate I'm playing hands.

callipygian said:
Not only would I, but I do.
Ditto. My hourly wage dwarfs my hourly EV, and my wife and friends can't believe I would go to the efforts I do to count and play (i.e., practice, travel, etc.). Fact of the matter is, I find it fun and challenging, so I explain it as a profitable hobby.

If I actually deployed my available bankroll, I could make a theoretically very large hourly EV, but given my relatively brief experience (150 1-2 hour sessions over 5 months), I lack the experience with camouflage to do it for long without being barred all over town.

UK-21

callipygian said:
Not only would I, but I do. I give away half of my EV in tips and I'll need to play for 175 more years to reach my N0 at the rate I'm playing hands.
That's an American prison sentence (without parole) for defrauding the IRS isn't it?

At my rate of play I think mine will be even longer. And for the sake of peace at home most of my EV gets invested back on the roulette table - at zero return of course!

:-(

callipygian

newb99 said:
And for the sake of peace at home most of my EV gets invested back on the roulette table
Why don't you buy your domestic partner a nice gift with your winnings? Or treat yourself to a spa and massage?

UK-21

I'm afraid her preference will be for her long standing affair with the 37 notched wheel of fortune. But I'm working at weening her off of it . . .

blackchipjim

The switch over

Don't worry my wife is starting to come around the bj tables more and more when I play because the machines are killing her. She likes to play bj and keys on me when to jump her bets. She will eventually be my big player and bring down the house when she accepts the position. blackchipjim