Calculating TC

SleightOfHand

So I have a TC calculating method that I brought up a few times before in replies to other posts, but never got any response so I'll make a post of my own. The "standard" way of calculating TC is to take your RC, look at the discard tray, subtract total decks by amount in discard, divide RC by that number, then compare the index with the calculated TC.

My method is to take your RC, divide by the index, look at the discard tray, subtract total decks by amount in discard, then compare the deck threshold with actual decks.

What I like about my method is that unless using fractional indeces, you are never dividing by fractions. Also, instead of doing deck estimation, I am doing deck comparison, which feels easier than estimation, although it is possible that they require the same amount of effort/skill.

Do you have a different TC calculation technique and does mine seem easier than the "standard?"

callipygian

SleightOfHand said:
Do you have a different TC calculation technique and does mine seem easier than the "standard?"
"Easier" is subjective. For some, dividing 8 by 2.5 is easier than dividing 8 by 5/2; for others, multiplying by 2 then dividing by 5 is easiest while others prefer to multiply by 0.4.

Whatever floats your boat!

I tend to use your method for fractional division. I've memorized, for example, my 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, and 4.5 multiplication tables, so if I need to work out 17/3.5, I'll think "3.5 x 5 = 17.5, so 17/3.5 is a little less than 5". But when dealing with non-fractional division, I'll tend to use whole numbers: "17/4 = 16/4 + 1/4 = 4.25".

Sonny

SleightOfHand said:
My method is to take your RC, divide by the index, look at the discard tray, subtract total decks by amount in discard, then compare the deck threshold with actual decks.
Snyder recommends this type of calculation in Blackbelt in Blackjack. It’s totally valid and many people find it easier to use than the standard way. The drawback is that it only works for index numbers, not regular TC calculations.

-Sonny-