Percentage Play: Matt Summers

FLBJ

Just read through Summers book on percentage play...the strategy chart from him is different...has percentage play been computer tested with millions of hands to determine effectiveness...what do you think of it?

I say a guy playing three hands at a time at $125 per hand and what was unusual was he would never hit 15 OR 16's NO MATTER what the dealer was showing as up card.....He did quite well winning well over $2500 in just two shoes......mabe we should rethink that basic strategy of hitting 16's??????????????

QFIT

Empirical Evidence

joel099 said:
I say a guy playing three hands at a time at $125 per hand and what was unusual was he would never hit 15 OR 16's NO MATTER what the dealer was showing as up card.....He did quite well winning well over $2500 in just two shoes......mabe we should rethink that basic strategy of hitting 16's??????????????
Open http://www.blackjack-scams.com/html/prog__systems.html and scroll down to the paragraph on Empirical Evidence.

joel099 said:
Although it's clear that 15s and 16s should often be hit, I will only hit them against an ace. To me, the mental peace of playing this way more than offsets the anxiety of following Basic Strategy. To each his own I guess!!

GEORGE

tedloc

Bs

joel099 said:
If you are only going to play BS, then it hardly matters, weather you hit or stand 16 vs 10. If you play 100 hands at $1 per, you will have $50 left if you surrender, $48 if you hit and $46 if you stay. The choice to stand vs ALL dealer hands is a losing proposition, any way you look at it. He might have won the day you wathced him, but if he continues to play like that, he will have to mortgage his house.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
As tedloc noted, 16vT is so close that it doesn't matter. The other combinations of 15 and 16 vs 7,8,9,T,A are however quite important. Standing costs quite a bit of money compared to hitting.

BOGEY21 said:
Although it's clear that 15s and 16s should often be hit, I will only hit them against an ace. To me, the mental peace of playing this way more than offsets the anxiety of following Basic Strategy. To each his own I guess!!
"To each his own"? I guess, if you are saying that you get "peace of mind" from playing incorrectly and with a HIGHER housEdge. Can you explain your position further? zg

BOGEY21 said:
Actually it FAR MORE important to hit hands like 15-16 against 7/8/9 then against 10-A, a typical Asian-ploppy error. Reminds me of the time I was advising Richard Branson at the table (see bold) -

EXCERPT -

Branson asked Grif if he knew "the plays, the hitting and the splitting and such?" Never shy, The Grifter leaned in and whispered that he was an expert card counter and would act as his table advisor. "Lovely," replied Branson in a friendly and self-effacing manner. At first Sir Richard lost a few hands and pulled out more money. Soon, Grif’s advice resulted in a rapid series of winning hands for the whale when the count shot upwards and Grif kept instructing him to bet it up. He responded by shaking Grif’s hand every time his advice resulted in a win. He also tipped The Grifter three black chips during the session. The last hand was when Branson had his biggest bet of $600 and got a sixteen against a dealer seven. The Grifter told him to hit.

Branson didn’t want to hit it and asked twice in a shaky tone, "Hit it? Are you sure? Do you really think that we should hit it?"

"Sir Richard," The Grifter replied with a smile, "The best play is to hit and you’ll probably bust, but percentage-wise, it’s riskier not to hit." Branson resolved "Then hit it we shall."
When he drew a four for twenty and won the hand, he leaned over and kissed Grif on the cheek. The Grifter stood up to address the pit, "Now that I’ve been kissed by Sir Richard Branson, do you know what this means? It means that I’m no longer….a Virgin!" Everyone laughed appreciatively, especially Branson. Sir Richard went on to record a $2k win in only fifteen minutes at last night’s session, while The Grifter netted $1,200, plus an additional $300 in tips.

END
complete report here - http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=737

Grifter,
The excerpt sounds like one I've read before........probably from one of Barfarkels stories in BJI (but possibly from "You've got heat", although I don't think so). I enjoyed reading that story and was impressed with how you became "financial betting advisor" to such a celebrity.

Keep up the good work on this site and with Barfarkel........I know he looks you up every time he is in Vegas and usually includes you in his latest trip reports in BJI.

Grifter
I remember that it was on the Wynn on opening weekend. It was a fun read, but I am sure the read was not nearly as fun and exciting as sitting at the table with Branson.

Keep up the good work.