Hi-Opt II for double deck

ohbehave

Anyone using HOII care to discuss nuances regarding DD games?

Currently I'm using OPP but as a level 2 count which makes it more powerful but I want better results so I'm learning HOII. It seems a pretty straightforward switch for much greater power and lower ROR.

But I"m having miserable results in practice sessions. Would like some feedback as to what I may be doing wrong.

Note that I don't intend to play shoe games with HOII for those that want to warn that its only margially better than HiLo.

jack.jackson

ohbehave said:
Anyone using HOII care to discuss nuances regarding DD games?

Currently I'm using OPP but as a level 2 count which makes it more powerful but I want better results so I'm learning HOII. It seems a pretty straightforward switch for much greater power and lower ROR.

But I"m having miserable results in practice sessions. Would like some feedback as to what I may be doing wrong.

Note that I don't intend to play shoe games with HOII for those that want to warn that its only margially better than HiLo.
Are you using the Ace side-count?

Are you using indices?

Are you practicing with Good rules and decent pen?

Whats your spread? How many players?

Sometimes, even when playing a flawless game, using Ao2, or Ho2, I can lose a little and or break-even for countless hours on end(play-all).

I recommend 3 ghost plyrs(play their hands, according to the count) face-up, 66% pen, HA-.20-.40, 1-6 spreading to 2 hands.

As long as your playing your game perfectly, you will definitely begin to see results sooner or later.

I also use the Running count for betting purposes.

Also, in practice you might want to go ahead and use a 1-10 spread, just to make sure you can win with that!

Last edited:

ohbehave

jack said:
Are you using the Ace side-count?

Are you using indices?

Are you practicing with Good rules and decent pen?

Whats your spread? How many players?

Sometimes, even when playing a flawless game, using Ao2, or Ho2, I can lose a little and or break-even for countless hours on end(play-all).

I recommend 3 ghost plyrs(play their hands, according to the count) face-up, 66% pen, HA-.20-.40, 1-6 spreading to 2 hands.

As long as your playing your game perfectly, you will definitely begin to see results sooner or later.

I also use the Running count for betting purposes.

Also, in practice you might want to go ahead and use a 1-10 spread, just to make sure you can win with that!
Thanks for the suggestions. Pen is probably part of the problem. I don't see much better than 50-55% around here so thats what I use.

Is your first bet increase at +1? What count does your bet max out? So you don't convert to true count?

No Ace side count. 5X or 8X spread. Decent rules except for pen... S17, DOA, SP4, DAS.

FLASH1296

I used it with good success in DD games for several years.

A hidden secret of Level 2 and 3 counts that side-count Aces in "pitch games"is the extra added value of the side-counted Aces for pair splits and doubles - [that isn't included in computer sim's]

Think for a moment if you will, you are playing a DD game with DAS. You receive a pair of Aces and the dealer has a 9. Your [Hi-Opt II] True Count is +2 and that falls short of the index to split the 9's in the face of the dealer Ace. Then you realize that fully one deck has been played and NO Aces have been seen. You have a 'surplus' of 4 Aces ! You double and slyly grin when your 2 hands get hit with an Ace and Ten, [or whatever].

You are about to double down on an 11 vs. a dealer's Ace in the same situation. You realize just how ugly your hand will look when it becomes a twelve, and you just Hit.

Now you are playing the same DD game and ALL the Aces are depleted - there is still a deck to go. Your True Count is +8, but adjusted for the depleted aces it is ZERO for betting purposes.

Other examples could go on ad infinitum.

I always found the easy way to count the Aces is as letters added to the numerical running count. The first Ace is 'A'. The second is 'B', etc. e.g +5,C would indicate a running count of +5 with 3 aces depleted. If there is 1 deck unseen, your True Count should be 'floored' to +2 and since there is a surplus of 1 Ace, you would bet as if the T.C. is +4 and be slightly more opportunistic with your doubles and splits [where Aces are valuable].

jack.jackson

ohbehave said:
Thanks for the suggestions. Pen is probably part of the problem. I don't see much better than 50-55% around here so thats what I use.

Is your first bet increase at +1? What count does your bet max out? So you don't convert to true count?

No Ace side count. 5X or 8X spread. Decent rules except for pen... S17, DOA, SP4, DAS.
Using the RC, for betting purposes, is strictly optional. Keep using the TC, for the play of hands.

You could probably start raising @+1 of you wanted to, with the rules that you listed, but I like to wait until +2.

Running count indices

+4/+7(2d)
+3/+5(1.5d)
+2/+3(1d)
+1/+2(3/4d)
0/+1(1/2d)

So if theres a 1/2 deck in the discard tray, raise your bet, w/a RC of +3(TC=+2) Make your Max@RC=+5

Using a 1-5 spread, heres what I like to do: 3 bets only!

1unit(min)
2.5(bump)
2.5x2.5(max)

For camo, and to reduce RoR, I never jump from Min to a Max bet in 1 round(optional) even if the count justifies it.

Win or lose the bump and the count, still calls for a Maxbet, spread to two hands and keep it there for as long as the count justifies it.

Using this technique, has worked wonders for me.

ohbehave

Probably just need more practice time. I only started working with it yesterday. It sounds like I'm doing things about right. I'll try some of your suggestions.

ohbehave said:
Probably just need more practice time. I only started working with it yesterday. It sounds like I'm doing things about right. I'll try some of your suggestions.
I personally use HO2 for double deck games and like it very much. You must remember, the reason for using HO2 is the increased PE not BC. Ergo, learn and utilize your indexes or do not use HO2.

ohbehave

vingtetun said:
I personally use HO2 for double deck games and like it very much. You must remember, the reason for using HO2 is the increased PE not BC. Ergo, learn and utilize your indexes or do not use HO2.
These are the index plays I'm learning.

Play Decision Index
16v10 Stand >0
12v3 Stand 1
11vAce Double 1
Insurance Take 4
12v2 Stand 4
9v7 Double 5
15v10 Stand 6
1010v6 Split 6
10v10 Double 6
1010v5 Split 7

FLASH1296

"ohbehave" is pulling our collective legs.
At least I hope that he isn't 100% serious.

He may be a relative noobie; but still he has to know that if he splits
FACES at a high T.C. he will quickly get the "tap on the shoulder."

FLASH1296

Be aware that there are around 200 indices for Hi-Opt II, although only about 20 are important.

The most important will always be Insurance of course.