Counting Cards

In both single and multiple decks, does the "count" restart at "0" when the dealer shuffles or does it continue; and, when you lose your count when do you restart your count? What value do you assign to your count to compensate for the number of decks being used?

SleightOfHand

cap1341 said:
In both single and multiple decks, does the "count" restart at "0" when the dealer shuffles or does it continue;
yes.

cap1341 said:
and, when you lose your count when do you restart your count?
You should leave the table, or if the shuffle card is close, you can just play BS for a few hands if finding a new table is too troublesome.

cap1341 said:
What value do you assign to your count to compensate for the number of decks being used?
If you lost the count, that means you don't know what cards came out of the deck. Therefore, you have no information about the value of the rest of the deck. Therefore, if anything, you start with a 0 count. However, finding a new table or waiting for the shuffle is a much better alternative as restarting with a 0 count in the middle of a shoe is like if you are playing a game with >50% cut off.

Beginning count in a multiple deck game

I am advised that when I am beginning to play in a game with multiple decks that I should assign a value to my beginning count that is an appropriate value considering the number of decks being used in the game. What value do I assign, or how do I go about determining a value to assign to my beginning count when I am entering a game with multiple decks? What is the value to begin with per deck?

cap1341 said:
I am advised that when I am beginning to play in a game with multiple decks that I should assign a value to my beginning count that is an appropriate value considering the number of decks being used in the game. What value do I assign, or how do I go about determining a value to assign to my beginning count when I am entering a game with multiple decks? What is the value to begin with per deck?
Based on your questions I would rec'd that you go buy a good bj book, read it and then come back with any questions you still don't understand. I rec'd Blackbelt in Blackjack.

SleightOfHand

cap1341 said:
Ahh, are you using a unbalanced system like KO or Red 7? In that case, your IRC (Initial Running Count) should be the "unbalance" (-4 for KO, -2 for Red7) multiplied by the amount of decks total. The IRC will be the same at the top of the shoe or if you lose the count and for some reason decide you want to stay at the table and try again.

vingtetun said:
Based on your questions I would rec'd that you go buy a good bj book, read it and then come back with any questions you still don't understand. I rec'd Blackbelt in Blackjack.
Second.

Thank you Sleight, for responding!!! A simple inquiry really can deserve a "basic BJ" type answer and I really appreciate yours! Obviously, my kind of ignorance will not be well received by the likes of Vingtetun. I guess my assumptions about the possible helpfulness of this forum must actually be limited to the open-hearted ones. Vingtetun, I shall not return until or unless I should need the response from such a one. Good luck with your BJ karate!