When to stop counting out loud?

UncrownedKing

I'm trying to learn the Zen TC system and I've been running through decks while keeping track of the count "out loud" or actually saying it. When should I start teaching myself to keep track of the count inside my head? After I'm already quick counting "out loud" or should I force myself to count silently?

You should never of started counting out loud. Start doing it silently immediately and no moving your mouth whatsoever.

Also, it's been said that people have an easier time remember the count, and keeping a conversation when you visualize the number instead of repeating it silently.

Pelerus

Personally, I would stop immediately. I wouldn't invest any more practice time using the "out loud" method. If you need to work your way up to being able to count a deck silently, then count simpler things silently: sheep, passing cars, etc.

Counting a deck out loud reinforces a potentially harmful behavior, and one that shouldn't be included in the practice regimen at any level of proficiency, even the beginning (IMO).

UncrownedKing

Haha. Already doomed myself for failure. Pictures are easier to remember then numbers. Looks like I'm starting from ground zero again. Thanks for the reply, will definitely make the change.

Then why not take a some pictures or draw a picture of numbers. Know what each one looks like and visualize those. Sounds silly but it might work....might.
Putting myself out there, I associate some numbers with the good old count. one, ah ah ah, two, ah ah ah, ......

UncrownedKing said:
I'm trying to learn the Zen TC system and I've been running through decks while keeping track of the count "out loud" or actually saying it. When should I start teaching myself to keep track of the count inside my head? After I'm already quick counting "out loud" or should I force myself to count silently?
Try putting marbles in your mouth or something else.

UncrownedKing

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been just using brute force silence. It is amazing how much faster I can count without whispering to myself every time the count changes. Didn't take THAT much effort. I had the math down and the card recognition down, was just using my voice.

SleightOfHand

UncrownedKing said:
I've been trying to count while listening to music, trying to start slow. I'm still a long way away from being ready.
After you get comfortable listening to music, try singing the song and counting. Once you can do that, you should be reading :)

Mr.M

You can also try to use the cards and cancel out cards which really helps with not having to count each card. If you see a ten-ten and the next hand has a 4-5 then you don't have to think much. I have found that doing that makes it easier and also allows you to look other places to throw camouflage. On a shoe game I can look away till all the hands are dealt and then look back when the dealer flips the upcard and get the count.

UncrownedKing

Eventually I will be counting by canceling, but for now I'm just trying to recognize each card's value will minimal effort and speed. Once I can count down a deck 100% accurate within 30-25 seconds, then I will start learning to cancel cards and count with the flow of BJ game.

UncrownedKing said:
Eventually I will be counting by canceling, but for now I'm just trying to recognize each card's value will minimal effort and speed. Once I can count down a deck 100% accurate within 30-25 seconds, then I will start learning to cancel cards and count with the flow of BJ game.
How is the marble method going to stop you from moving your lips? The only probally with the marble method is that you might sallow one but don't worry once you go to the bathroom it will come out in the wash.

UncrownedKing

I didn't plan on putting things in my mouth. I'm not that type of person:laugh:

I'm pretty good at silently counting. It's amazing how well brute force works.