A,7 Vs Dealer's Ace

What is the correct BS for player A,7 against dealer's Ace ? Hit or stand?

What is the index or BS variation for this hand?

The rules are 4 decks, S17, D9, DAS, ES10, BJ pay 3:2, ENHC, penetration = 60%,no surrender against dealer's Ace, RSA to Max 3 hand.

Mikeaber

Bs

Straight BS calls for a hit with an A/7 against a dealer Ace in every variation I have sharts on EXCEPT Single Deck where S17 (then you stand).

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
For your game, stand at +1.

Mike is right. Basic strategy is to hit (A,7) vs Ace. The only exception is single deck when the dealer stands on all 17s. In that game, BS says stand.

When the dealer hits soft 17, this is not a close call at all. Wong gives the index number for single deck H17 at +17. He does not provide an index number for 4 decks, which means the value is higher than +20.

In an S17 game, this is a much closer decision. In one deck, the index is 0. In 4 decks, the index is +1. So, stand at +1, hit at anything lower.

bj bob

Was Wong wong?

Ken, I have yet to see an index move 17 points because of a H/S 17 variance. Is something amiss with Wong's calculations or have I been smoking too much of Mike's hooch? To quote Revere:"If the dealer hits S17, stand on A7 v. A if TC=>+1" Sounds like a good sim exercise.

ortango

Standing on a S18 is bad but not THAT bad on a multideck. The index for standing is +1 for 4 or more decks, but a WHOPPING +17 for single deck. So definately stand with a single deck.

ihate17

The power of the 6

bj bob said:
Ken, I have yet to see an index move 17 points because of a H/S 17 variance. Is something amiss with Wong's calculations or have I been smoking too much of Mike's hooch? To quote Revere:"If the dealer hits S17, stand on A7 v. A if TC=>+1" Sounds like a good sim exercise.
The index moves as it does mainly based upon how often a dealer will have a soft 17 and stay in the S17 game. Besides having a six in the hole, any time a dealer has an A-5 in the hole there is the possibility he will land up with soft 17.
I do not have the math to know if this should move the indice 17 points but instinctively I know it would be a significant move.

ihate17

MeWin$

Stay on A7 vs Ace when TC 2 or more on S17?
I want to know more. Wow.
What about any other soft 18? is there another indice for that?
Im fairly shocked here.

bj bob

MeWin$ said:
Stay on A7 vs Ace when TC 2 or more on S17?
I want to know more. Wow.
I'm fairly shocked here.
You would be surprised how often the band of brothers here on the board come up with logical/ mathematical gems like this. Just stay tuned, there's plenty more where that came from.

BJgenius007

ssho88 said:
What is the correct BS for player A,7 against dealer's Ace ? Hit or stand?

What is the index or BS variation for this hand?

The rules are 4 decks, S17, D9, DAS, ES10, BJ pay 3:2, ENHC, penetration = 60%,no surrender against dealer's Ace, RSA to Max 3 hand.
The concept is to hit if there are many small cards in the remaining deck.

For single or double decks, hit if the true count is negative.

For multiple decks (4 or more), hit if the true count is zero or negative.

You can see hit or stay is almost dead even in the middle. If you don't count, stay on single/double decks and hit on multiple decks (4, 6 or 8).

Blue Efficacy

The huge index variation does not surprise me, as 18 is the most likely S17 winner to be murdered by the dealer hitting soft 17... in single deck this seems like composition would make a huge difference. Would you not be much better off with A,3,4 than A,7 in the H17 game?

Last edited: