Best way to play?

Like I said I am pretty new to the BJ world. But I am tring to learn!!!
Do you all ways use basic Strategy? Where I play they use 6 decks and my math is not the best, so I don't think I could count 10's. Well any help?
Thanks
Jay

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely start with basic strategy

Correct basic strategy is the cornerstone on which all successful blackjack play is built. The vast majority of players out there either don't know the correct strategy for every situation, or they choose to play hunches at the table. By using basic strategy, you'll already be among the top 10 or 20% of players at the table according to skill level. Case in point: You'll almost never see typical players hit (A,7) vs a dealer nine or ten. But that play isn't even a close call. Hitting is much better than standing.

It's easy to fall prey to either the conventional 'wisdom' of the dealer or other players at the table. If you know basic strategy, you'll know when to ignore their well-intentioned but often poorly-informed advice.

Here's why this is a tough lesson for most players to learn... There's bound to be at least one situation that repeatedly comes up where despite playing correctly, you just continually seem to get blasted.

Let's say you're dealt a hard 12 against the dealer's upcard of 3. You've had the same hand three times in the last ten minutes, and every time you've hit it, and every time you've busted. Well, it's awfully easy to assume that you now know more than 'the book', and stand this time. And, the next card out of the shoe might well be a ten, and you feel like you've made the right play. Well, it may have worked this time, but making the mathematically correct play EVERY time gives you the best chance of being a winner.

Having harped on that topic enough, I'll also mention that there are times when the remaining deck composition means that the mathematically correct play is different from typical basic strategy. But those situations require the information provided by card counting, and even the best card counters play the vast majority of their hands by basic strategy. Until you know an awful lot about the game, you can and should ignore these times when basic strategy isn't the optimal play.

thanks

Yes you are right...and thats about the way I play!! I hate to hit on any thing over a 13 no matter what the dealer has. I am tring to train my self to follow BS more. I really like you advice, and I am tring to learn from the best!! I saw you the other night on the Travel channel!! :)
thanks again

Jay

Best Option

Ken's Example Of A 12 And A 3 Is Typical. You May Even Run Into Situations Where The Dealer Thinks You Will Stand And "roll Over" Your Hit. Watch For This. I Needed To Remind A Dealer Who's Game It Really Was. In My Case The Hand Was A Loser. But, I Still Need To Play The Way I Need To Play. Other Times, Players Around You Who Do Not Know Better May Comment.
Please Ignore Them. They Do Not Know Any Better Than You.

metronome

laser3003 said:
Yes you are right...and thats about the way I play!! I hate to hit on any thing over a 13 no matter what the dealer has. I am tring to train my self to follow BS more. I really like you advice, and I am tring to learn from the best!! I saw you the other night on the Travel channel!! :)
thanks again

Jay
Ken on the travel channel.:eek:
I'd pay (a little) to see that segment !:laugh::laugh:

Yep, you just have to make yourself do it......

And it's extremely hard to do it again when doing so has caused the whole table to lose when the dealer would've busted.

Just go back from playing tonight and had two different people bitch at me for doing exactly what you are talking about, hitting on soft 18 with dealer showing a ten and hitting on 12 with dealer showing a 2 or 3.

But it's the right move. The thing is, those same people never give you credit when the dealer busts because of it. Also, although I ruined one hand doing it, the next three hands were busts. Not likely that would've happened if I had stayed. That's why it's so idiotic blaming people for their moves. If you believe that's what breaks or makes you, you should only play an empty table of you and the dealer.

Bacchante

I've found hitting soft 18 may get a raised eyebrow from the table, and even asked again by the dealer. The 12 vs 2, and more so 3, I'll often preface with "oh gosh this is so even, fifty/fifty.... and take the hit; saying this helps with cover when I stand on the hand because it's an index play. ("I'll let it go this time.") Then again some players are so oblivious to basic strategy it's moot.