The Royal Divorce

Dopple

This is a phrase I have coined to describe splitting tens of course if you had a pair of Jacks it would be a gay divorce but anyway:

I have held of splitting Tens (TC5) vs. 5 and 6 just to keep out of the radar but I wonder what my true loss of EV is, since you have many more chance to resplit than you would with the other numbers I would think on high counts it could be alot. I have very many fond memories of splitting three times with tens on a pretty high count and nailing four 20s to see a bust.

If your making index plays say hitting 14 vs. 4 etc or doubling hard 8 or 7 now and then what makes splitting tens such as hot move.

I suppose do it if you think you can get away with it. I think it pays well.

StandardDeviant

Dopple said:
I wonder what my true loss of EV is, since you have many more chance to resplit than you would with the other numbers I would think on high counts it could be alot. I have very many fond memories of splitting three times with tens on a pretty high count and nailing four 20s to see a bust.
p383 of BJA says: Splitting TT vs 5 or 6 ... "comes up about 1,455 times per 100,000 hands; but the count needs to be +5 in one instance and +4 in the other. To the black chip player, the two plays might be worth $6-7 per hour. Even for the quarter player ($1.75 at most), it just doesn't make sense to me to take the risk."

I've done it various times. Most notable was at a six deck shoe, halfway through and a running count of +24. No fooling. While sitting at second base I get a Lesbian pair (two Queens) on a hundred dollar bet. First base has a blackjack but everyone to my left (full table) shows stiffs and the dealer has a six up card.

First base gets paid and I hesitate but decide to split the tens. Almost had to yell at the dealer who was about to pass me by.

Sadly I get a sixteen and a fifteen on my split queens. The two worst stiffs. Now the dealer must bust or I'm screwed.

However with four more seats filled with ploppies standing on stiff hands the NEXT card goes to the dealer who has a Nine under the Six. He gets a ten and busts.

Now figure had I not split those tens the dealer gets MY six and makes 21.

You'd think the table would have tipped me after but no way...

21gunsalute

AnIrishmannot2brite said:
I've done it various times. Most notable was at a six deck shoe, halfway through and a running count of +24. No fooling. While sitting at second base I get a Lesbian pair (two Queens) on a hundred dollar bet. First base has a blackjack but everyone to my left (full table) shows stiffs and the dealer has a six up card.

First base gets paid and I hesitate but decide to split the tens. Almost had to yell at the dealer who was about to pass me by.

Sadly I get a sixteen and a fifteen on my split queens. The two worst stiffs. Now the dealer must bust or I'm screwed.

However with four more seats filled with ploppies standing on stiff hands the NEXT card goes to the dealer who has a Nine under the Six. He gets a ten and busts.

Now figure had I not split those tens the dealer gets MY six and makes 21.

You'd think the table would have tipped me after but no way...
When you first split them they probably wanted to tip you...in the same way people tip cows! ;)

Splitting tens isn't worth much per hour, but in the moment that its called for its worth more,
at least subjectively. zg

Last edited:

kewljason

How is it that 16 and 15 are the two worst stiffs?? :confused: Do you lose more with a stiff of 15 than with a stiff of 12 or 13??

kewljason said:
How is it that 16 and 15 are the two worst stiffs?? :confused: Do you lose more with a stiff of 15 than with a stiff of 12 or 13??
Fewer cards kelp a sixteen or fifteen.

At least a twelve could pull a neutral card ( 7, 8, or 9) and make a pat hand. None of these help a 15 or 16.

SleightOfHand

At least a twelve could pull a neutral card ( 7, 8, or 9) and make a pat hand. None of these help a 15 or 16.
Maybe kewljason was talking about specifically vs a 5 or 6 up since the BS is to stand either with a 12 or a 15, making no difference as to the EV of the hand (aside from small compositional changes to the deck for the hands that make up 12 or 15)

kewljason

I am confused. :confused: The count was high enough that you split 10's vs a 6, but if you had drawn a 2 or 3 you would consider hitting again??

kewljason

kewljason said:
I am confused. :confused: The count was high enough that you split 10's vs a 6, but if you had drawn a 2 or 3 you would consider hitting again??
I guess it's possible, if you are side counting the neutral cards, but the make up of the remaining cards would have to be such that most remaining cards where either high or neutral. If that were the case the smarter move would be to stand as two tens or a ten and neutral card, or even most combos of two neutral cards would break the dealer.

Last edited:
kewljason said:
Of course not. I would just prefer not to look at a sixteen and fifteen together. Not the prettiest cards. More of a psychological problem.

Dopple

Psyched out?

To obtain the greatest EV the individual must leave behind the emotions of the physical world and elevate themselves to a higher plane.

Practice by chanting twenty-ooooooooohhhhhmmmm.;)

Wild Moves

I have done it in all my years of playing blackjack enough times to count one one hand and did it pretty much just to be able to say I did it! It's just something that I never even THINK about doing. I had someone tell me that they have doubled down on soft 20 (A,9) the other day! They are braver than I, wilder and crazier than I?

Tarzan said:
I have done it in all my years of playing blackjack enough times to count one one hand and did it pretty much just to be able to say I did it! It's just something that I never even THINK about doing. I had someone tell me that they have doubled down on soft 20 (A,9) the other day! They are braver than I, wilder and crazier than I?
Its the same index. zg

Just not something I do

Either one is little to gain in the long haul and something that will attract lots of attention more than anything else, same index or not!

toastblows

A9 doublers are my favorite to watch. Rarely do I do this unless im a)heavy on the plus rc and tc....or b) intoxicated on a $5 table doing a min bet :laugh:

I like A9 over 10 spliters because they believe they have a free pass to double up their money. 10 splitter ploppies seem to me like they are desperate to make the money.....A9 doublers seem like they are entitled to double up their money. Anyone else ever get this feeling?