Pay for that pen

Dopple

So you have a dealer that is fair with you, how do you show them a little better pen will be worth their while? Any little hints you could drop? Perhaps something like, "it looks like you are getting a little....... slimmer.... or my wallet is a little ....... thin .......... or that steak I had for lunch was too ....... fat.....

I think toking for better pen can be a win... win situation if done right.

Blue Efficacy

Meistro said:
I often toke for good pen but I doubt it does anything because the dealers don't understand that you want good pen.
If you doubt it does anything, why do you do it?

The best way to get the penetration you want is when you get the cut card. Place the cut card either where you want them to put it, or so that once they cut the shoe it will be where you want it.

I've seen dealers before who will just leave the cut card right where it is after cutting, instead of removing and reinserting it.

Brock Windsor

Ask them outright. "Are you allowed to put that card back a bit further so you don't have to shuffle all the time?" They will usually recite the house procedure but will try to cut as close to the allowable limit as they can. Few players or dealers know the significance of pen... many card counters don't appreciate it either.
BW

Dopple

Dopple said:
So you have a dealer that is fair with you, how do you show them a little better pen will be worth their while? Any little hints you could drop? Perhaps something like, "it looks like you are getting a little....... slimmer.... or my wallet is a little ....... thin .......... or that steak I had for lunch was too ....... fat.....

I think toking for better pen can be a win... win situation if done right.
Tipping gets you alot.....when they place a shuffle card that is fine put a tip on your bet and say "nice cut".

Then tip, tip and tip...not huge tips, but many, take them along for the ride, you will be amazed what they will do for you!!!;):)

Now, when you feel comfortable play a spot for the dealer and tell them, "this is your bet, I placed it for you", and then let them tell you how they want it played, you have just put them, psychologically, fully in the game, you will be rewarded...many times over.:gaga:

CP

FLASH1296

I have found that many small tips works best.

Several $1 tokes is mioe memorable to the dealers than a single $5 toke.

My motto is to toke (cooperative) dealers frequently but in small amounts.

The "Nice Cut" comment is advisable.

If looked at "cockeyed", recite: "More hands. Less shuffling. I get bored easily"

21forme

In a good count, if the cut card comes out and the dealer is ready to shuffle, I push out a bet and a toke and say "can't you just deal one more?" I find that works about 25% of the time. It rarely works with dealers with foreign accents.

Meistro

"thin to win" while cutting has been effective for me - although I avoid saying this to fat female dealers or w/ fat female pit bosses around. As another posted said above, I will usually cut off 1 deck or so when I am doing the cut.

Blue Efficacy

Meistro said:
"thin to win" while cutting has been effective for me - although I avoid saying this to fat female dealers or w/ fat female pit bosses around. As another posted said above, I will usually cut off 1 deck or so when I am doing the cut.
Yes, thin to win is great!

Dopple

Thanks for the great replies, I like the ones on ::nice cut:: and :: one more please::.

Another thought I have is when tipping to start out kind of slow so they dont feel let down if you need to back off on the tipping.

I think it is quite clear an extra dollar here or there is well worth it if you can get another round now and then at .. the right time.

Timing is everything.

moo321

Personally, I don't tip a lot for extra pen, but if I do, I'm coming right out and saying it. Doesn't make sense to tip 10% of your expectation away unless it's definitely adding to your expectation.

Two problems, however, with tipping for pen:

1. Most dealers pool tips
2. It may draw heat

itrack

Blue Efficacy said:
I've seen dealers before who will just leave the cut card right where it is after cutting, instead of removing and reinserting it.
I love when I see this. All I do is cut less and less cards from the front of the deck and see when they will finally take the cut card out and cut it themselves.

21forme said:
In a good count, if the cut card comes out and the dealer is ready to shuffle, I push out a bet and a toke and say "can't you just deal one more?" I find that works about 25% of the time. It rarely works with dealers with foreign accents.
Just make sure the toke is a smaller percentage of your bet than your advantage for that hand!