How often do you adjust your spread or min bet?

Thunder

I'm just curious to hear what other AP's do. Do you typically do it anytime your bankroll suggests your lifetime ROR is under 1% or do you do it like once a month or what. I'm thinking the most efficient way to do it is every hand, granted that isn't possible unless you're betting a huge amount since the minimum adjustment is $1. The hardest thing for an AP to do is adjust your spread or minimum bet downward after you've been getting killed because naturally the temptation is to try to "win those lost bets back," but as you well know, that's a necessity.

kewljason

I try to play with such a low RoR that I don't need to udjust downward. Of course this means I am not betting anywhere near optimally and "leaving money on the table" by some people's standards, but it's just a comfort factor for me. That being said, If I were to lose a significant chunk of BR, I certainly would downsize, but that has never happened, thankfully. A 20% BR loss was my worst stretch to date, happening earlier this year.

daddybo

I agree you should adjust your min/max bet as your bankroll changes. But the reality of it (with me anyway) is the bet sizing is more situational and is dictated by the game, table limits, heat variable, etc. Since I calculate my total BR as function of of cash on hand and various assets I'm willing to put at risk... It becomes more of a function of the above conditions. Having said that, I generally size my "Trip Roll" to be correct for the game at hand. I usually try to err on the side of having too much cash available to avoid missing juicy opportunities that may arise. (BTW.. I always keep my ROR very small in regards to the main BR)

If the above diatribe were not applicable, I would probably resize at every juncture of a major BR fluctuation.

Thunder

Yeah I remember that horrible run you went through. I'm guessing it's made you a bit leery of having the most optimal bet out there but I can't blame you for being a bit more conservative than most. I should add that there are probably other factors that go into determining one's min. bet and bet spread. It has to be something one is comfortable with, as playing when you're stressed out is not +EV for both your bankroll and health. Personally, I have a higher risk tolerance than most so I play with a higher ROR but then again, I don't do this for a living. I hope you actually enjoy playing in Vegas more than in AC (aside from the profitability standpoint)

Not That Important

How often you resize is not that important especially if your ror is very low. It can be every hand or when you win double or lose half bank. It can be even based on time. I found ease of implementation to be nice and/or the end of a trip or perhaps during a trip if very large bank movement. In general, resizing on downswings is very important to longevity.:joker::whip:

Last edited:

matt21

I injected additional capital into my bankroll on four different occasions and at each of those times I adjusted my betting ramp. Each injection at least doubled the BR. I always set the bet ramp to sit in the 5-8% ROR range, a level of risk that I was comfortable with.

As my winnings accumulated I should have really adjusted my bet ramp - since my BR again doubled as a result of the winnings, instead the ROR just slipped down towards the 3% range.

So in effect I never varied my ramp as a result of wins and losses.