Question about PE and Indicies

ace157

If a system has a high BC but a low PE which of the the following would be more true.....

1) learning indexes would compensate for the system's lack of PE

- or -

2) the indexes would be less accurate due to the defficient PE

ace157

does the same hold true if the system's PE was figured w/o indexes? IE: i am playing around with some new tags, and when i calculated the PE (via the efficiency calculator on this site), the indexes were not figured in yet. thus, my question is about the accuracy of the indexes that hav yet to be created (via CVdata).

NOTE: the answer is "NO", if the PE was calculated prior to having indexes, then the PE would would increase when the indexes were added

Last edited:

Deathclutch

Krak3d said:
What's BC and PE? I'm new to this stuff:eek:
BC is how accurate your count is on telling you when to place out different sized bets, and we're actually having a discussion right in chat determining what exactly PE is but you can think of it as how accurate your count is on telling you to deviate from basic strategy.

ace157

Krak3d said:
What's BC and PE? I'm new to this stuff:eek:
from CVdata (ToBJ): Playing Efficiency - PE indicates how well a card counting system handles changes in playing strategy. Playing efficiency is particularly important in hand-held games (one or two decks.) The best you can do without side counts is about .70 (70% of perfect.)

Betting Correlation - BC is defined as the correlation between card point values and the effect of removal of cards. It is used to predict how well a card counting system predicts good betting situations and can approach 1.00 (100% correlation.) BC is particularly important in shoe games (six or eight decks.)

Insurance Correlation - IC is defined as the correlation between card point values and the value of cards in Insurance situation. A point value of -9 for tens and +4 for all other cards would be perfect for predicting if an Insurance bet should be placed.

ace157

new question

How exactly is PE calculated? after a discussion in the chat room (after the previous one) a new qeustion arose. Index play can increase YOUR PE. However, does it increase the system's PE? In other words is your PE based on indicies, but maxing out at a certain value calculated from card tag values?

Krak3d

Thanx for clearing that up. I'm nowhere near learning those, I hope smart guys like you are around when I do need to learn those.:grin:

ace157 said:
does the same hold true if the system's PE was figured w/o indexes? IE: i am playing around with some new tags, and when i calculated the PE (via the efficiency calculator on this site), the indexes were not figured in yet. thus, my question is about the accuracy of the indexes that hav yet to be created (via CVdata).

NOTE: the answer is "NO", if the PE was calculated prior to having indexes, then the PE would would increase when the indexes were added

If you don't use indices, your PE is undefined. The PE is a metric of how well your indices will work if you use them.

The BC is a slightly different story- it's the correlation of how much you are going to bet as determined by the count to the likelihood of you actually winning the hand, but your playing indices affect how likely you are to win the hand. I suppose you could calculate BC both with and without indices, but it would make more sense to calculate it with because that's the way counts are actually used.

ace157

so then monkey,

when PE is calculated, on this site's efficiency claculator for example, obviously PE is being caluculated based on the tagged values not indicies. So, is the calculated PE max based on the tags, and if you're not playing with full indicies you're playing below that max(calculated) PE?