TC with Ace SC

Deathclutch

Tonight in a chat I asked a question about using quarter deck resolution in a double deck game. I don't remember the exact question, but it was something along the lines of asking when to make that pivot from dividing by 1.75 to 1.5 and so on and so forth. It was basically explained to me that you would round to the nearest quarter deck.

This means that it would go something along these lines

Cards Played - Divide by

0-6 ------- 2
7-19 ------ 1.75
20-32 ----- 1.5
etc ------- etc

So if I'm using an Ace side count does this mean that if an ace hasn't been played in the first 6 cards I'm already increasing my RC by +2? Seems real early to determine I have a surplus of aces, but if I'm always rounding to the nearest half deck I assume that's how I'd do it. Can anyone clarify if that's what I should be doing?

iCountNTrack

The Ace side count works the same way, so basically if 6 cards have been dealt that is rounded to zero deck played and therefore 0 expected ace. If 12 cards have been dealt that is 1/4 deck dealt, and if zero aces have been counted, in this case you haev an excess of +1 and you add +2 to your RC.

Deathclutch

iCountNTrack said:
The Ace side count works the same way, so basically if 6 cards have been dealt that is rounded to zero deck played and therefore 0 expected ace. If 12 cards have been dealt that is 1/4 deck dealt, and if zero aces have been counted, in this case you haev an excess of +1 and you add +2 to your RC.
So if 8 cards have been dealt, no Ace I'd still round up to 1/4 deck played then? I don't know why I starting putting 6, I mean 8 in my head.

jack.jackson

Deathclutch said:
Tonight in a chat I asked a question about using quarter deck resolution in a double deck game. I don't remember the exact question, but it was something along the lines of asking when to make that pivot from dividing by 1.75 to 1.5 and so on and so forth. It was basically explained to me that you would round to the nearest quarter deck.

This means that it would go something along these lines

Cards Played - Divide by

0-6 ------- 2
7-19 ------ 1.75
20-32 ----- 1.5
etc ------- etc

So if I'm using an Ace side count does this mean that if an ace hasn't been played in the first 6 cards I'm already increasing my RC by +2? Seems real early to determine I have a surplus of aces, but if I'm always rounding to the nearest half deck I assume that's how I'd do it. Can anyone clarify if that's what I should be doing?
The reason your thinking this way, is because you technically could add+1 for every 1/8 deck. So, as long as its close to 1/4 deck, its okay, to go ahead and add+2

This is why, ace sidecounts are a little crude, and some pros prefer secondarys instead.

jack said:
The reason your thinking this way, is because you technically could add+1 for every 1/8 deck. So, as long as its close to 1/4 deck, its okay, to go ahead and add+2

This is why, ace sidecounts are a little crude, and some pros prefer secondarys instead.
What a plain ace sidecount does essentially is turn your count into a true counted unbalanced system. A secondary count ends up being a little easier I think, and a bit more flexible, as you can use the sum of the two counts for one thing and the difference for something else. You can also make the main count balanced and the secondary count unbalanced.

jack.jackson

Automatic Monkey said:
What a plain ace sidecount does essentially is turn your count into a true counted unbalanced system. A secondary count ends up being a little easier I think, and a bit more flexible, as you can use the sum of the two counts for one thing and the difference for something else. You can also make the main count balanced and the secondary count unbalanced.
Secondarys, can be a little confusing to say the least. Ace Sidecounts "work" but they're far from perfect.

Take this example: 2223210-1-2-3(A+4/X-1)=12223210-1-3*

*The secondary is used for insurance, stiff hands, 11, and A2-A5.

While the primary count is used for betting and the all other hands.(I have my own playing stategy)

In essence, you only have to keep track of 2 cards. Aces and Tens.

jack said:
Secondarys, can be a little confusing to say the least. Ace Sidecounts "work" but they're far from perfect.

Take this example: 2223210-1-2-3(A+4/X-1)=12223210-1-3*

*The secondary is used for insurance, stiff hands, 11, and A2-A5.

While the primary count is used for betting and the all other hands.(I have my own playing stategy)

In essence, you only have to keep track of 2 cards. Aces and Tens.
Here's an alternative way to apply a secondary count:

Primary count {A--X}: 0,0,1,2,2,2,1,0,0,-2

Secondary count: A= -2, 2= +1, 3= +1

The primary count is superior to HO2 for playing. For betting add the two counts together and you get RPC, which is as good as you can get at level 2. The combined RPC count is going to be slightly better than the primary for certain big plays like splitting 10's and doubling 10 vs. 10.

This is a little better than counting the 3 & 6 against the ace to convert HO2 to RPC for betting.

jack.jackson

Automatic Monkey said:
Here's an alternative way to apply a secondary count:

Primary count {A--X}: 0,0,1,2,2,2,1,0,0,-2

Secondary count: A= -2, 2= +1, 3= +1

The primary count is superior to HO2 for playing. For betting add the two counts together and you get RPC, which is as good as you can get at level 2. The combined RPC count is going to be slightly better than the primary for certain big plays like splitting 10's and doubling 10 vs. 10.

This is a little better than counting the 3 & 6 against the ace to convert HO2 to RPC for betting.
I dont know monk, ho2.w/the 3and6, seems like a more viable idea. And since, you could keep the 3and6 positive one, in both counts. Not to mention, your hurting your insurance. And your count only has a .66 pe, vs ho2 .67.

Im pretty sure you would use RPC, for 77-XX,A6-A9 as well.

I wish there was some kind of analyzer, that told you the effeciency for paticular hands, w/different counts.

ETfan showed me how to do it once, by a Peter Griffin, formula, but it was a little complicated too me.

Last edited:
jack said:
I dont know monk, ho2.w/the 3and6, seems like a more viable idea. And since, you could keep the 3and6 positive one, in both counts. Not to mention, your hurting your insurance. And your count only has a .66 pe, vs ho2 .67.

Im pretty sure you would use RPC, for 77-XX,A6-A9 as well.

I wish there was some kind of analyzer, that told you the effeciency for paticular hands, w/different counts.

ETfan showed me how to do it once, by a Peter Griffin, formula, but it was a little complicated too me.
Well... there is such an analyzer now... ;)

The way I refit the playing EOR for modern counters is to disregard the big low count indices (16 vs. 10, 12 vs. 3, 9 vs. 2, 11 vs. A) because those are not important decisions for us. A shoe counter can always stand or double on those plays and it will make little difference. The 5 and 6 end up having a similar playing EOR, mostly due to the 15 vs. 10 decision which always happens when you have a huge bet out there. And the ace starts behaving more like a high card than a low card because of all the edgy double and split plays. For a SD player who has 1/4 or 1/3 of a big bet out there even in extreme negative counts, the playing EOR are more like what we are familiar with.