Need a new betting spread

pooptarts92

I've been playing for almost a year now but ive had lots of on and off days throughout the months so my hours aren't all up to par. I used HiLo for half the time and switched to Wong's Halves system. My current bet spread:
True 2 - $15
True 3-4 - $20
True 5-6 - $30
True 7-8 - $40
True 9-10 - $50

My friend told me that you only really need 4 different increased bets to beat the game and i find mine varies too much. Any suggestions?
Oh and my bankroll started at about $3000 and is now diminished to about $920 after a couple bad months.

kewljason

pooptarts92 said:
I've been playing for almost a year now but ive had lots of on and off days throughout the months so my hours aren't all up to par. I used HiLo for half the time and switched to Wong's Halves system. My current bet spread:
True 2 - $15
True 3-4 - $20
True 5-6 - $30
True 7-8 - $40
True 9-10 - $50

My friend told me that you only really need 4 different increased bets to beat the game and i find mine varies too much. Any suggestions?
Oh and my bankroll started at about $3000 and is now diminished to about $920 after a couple bad months.
Need more info and a clarification first. First the clarification. Are you only playing counts of 2 and above? Or are counts of 1, 0 and negative wagered at $15 also? what kind of game are you playing? no decks? pen? rules?

pooptarts92

I bet the $5 min at negative to true 1 counts. there is no hole card, surrender allowed (early i guess since you can surrender against dealer face but not against ace due to no hole card). mostly playing 4 deck tables, pen ranges from 40 cards to 1.5 decks (stupid dealers theres only 2 players, give us a few more hands jeez). and aces can only be split once, they receive one card each, double on any 2 cards, double allowed after split, split up to 4 times (excluding aces). i think i covered everything lol hopefully.

Sharky

pooptarts92 said:
True 2 - $15
True 3-4 - $20
True 5-6 - $30
True 7-8 - $40
True 9-10 - $50
your sys bets too high on lower counts and not enough on higher counts. counts of +6 rarely occur so you are primarily spreading 1-4 which is much too narrow, particularly if 4 units occur at +3. Also, why do you use ranges?

Try using $10/TC and max out at $60 for >=6 and you will make more $$$.

pooptarts92

Sharky said:
your sys bets too high on lower counts and not enough on higher counts. counts of +6 rarely occur so you are primarily spreading 1-4 which is much too narrow, particularly if 4 units occur at +3. Also, why do you use ranges?

so 10 bucks times the tc up to 60 dollars is what your saying?

kewljason

Sharky said:

You are advising a max bet of $60 with a $920 bankroll? He will be playing with a very very high RoR.

pooptarts92

kewljason said:
You are advising a max bet of $60 with a $920 bankroll? He will be playing with a very very high RoR.
Since I've been losing i havent changed my bet spread because I feel that after I go through all this variance I'll still come out ahead in the end. But I really don't think i should have a max bet over 50, but a new spread would be ideal.

Sharky

pooptarts92 said:
so 10 bucks times the tc up to 60 dollars is what your saying?
yes, understand that if you put all of the work into counting MAKE IT PAY!!! at your ramp, you rarely get more than $20 on the table.

check out this ramp:
+1 = 100% more (10 vs 5)
+2 = 33% more (20 vs 15)
+3 = 50% more (30 vs 20)
+4 = 100% more (40 vs 20)
+5 = 67% more (50 vs 30)
+6 = 100% more (60 vs 30)
>6 = 20% more (60 vs 50)

good luck

Sharky

pooptarts92 said:
Since I've been losing i havent changed my bet spread because I feel that after I go through all this variance I'll still come out ahead in the end. But I really don't think i should have a max bet over 50, but a new spread would be ideal.
look, 2 points:

1. $50 is NOT your max bet as you may have bet $50 once per night if you are extremely lucky.

2. you do not have the BR to support either sys..so divide my ramp bets by 10 and you will survive :laugh:

pooptarts92

Sharky said:
look, 2 points:

1. $50 is NOT your max bet as you may have bet $50 once per night if you are extremely lucky.

2. you do not have the BR to support either sys..so divide my ramp bets by 10 and you will survive :laugh:
maybe i dont have the br now but i DID at one point, ive just gone through bad losing streaks and at this point its a break even streak, cuz i lose then win then lose and can't ever seem to get ahead lol. so dont bash my br lol i add to it every now and again and play my best game.

Sharky

pooptarts92 said:
maybe i dont have the br now but i DID at one point, ive just gone through bad losing streaks and at this point its a break even streak, cuz i lose then win then lose and can't ever seem to get ahead lol. so dont bash my br lol i add to it every now and again and play my best game.

not bashing BR bro, I know how the variance of this game can get to you. I think too many confuse br w/ session br. If you are able to take your br with you on a trip, it is too small.

I am just suggesting rearranging your bets to take better advantage of the predominant counts you will experience (+1 -> +4) and increasing your spread from 4 to 8.

Meistro

at a br of < $1000 your max bet should be $20 or $30 max, and you should always play with a .5% advantage (TC +2) or higher (which I believe you mentioned you do in your OP). Which means you will play maybe 4 hands an hour on average? won't make a ton of cash but you will gain valuable experience and get lots of exercise wonging around. I am not surprised you dropped to 1k from 3k with a 60$ max bet. 2k varianced is 50 max bets and assuming $5 units 400 units. 400 unit swings are extremely common for me, and happen at times daily.