Illustrious 18, I give up!!! - Chart and questiom

FreeStyle

CHART - Can someone please point me in the right direction to a chart of these 18 rules? I have them in my blackjack book but that doesn't help me when I want to keep them in my pocket so that I may practice memorizing them at work. I've googled and searched on this website but have only found discussions and simulations. I would just like the 18 written rules for the hi-lo count. That way I could print it out on a nifty piece of paper.

QUESTIONS - I understand that you are supposed to stand on a 16 vs 10 when the count is 0 to plus, but why is it that 16 vs 9 you have to wait until the true count is +5 before you stand?!?! I don't understand why the dealer getting 1 number lower warrents such a change in the count before you make the same move?

Furthermore, why is it that BS tells you to hit on 16 vs a 10 when for the deviations it says to stand on 16 vs a 10 when the count is neutral?! It's basically saying it starts off good to stand? So shouldn't BS say you are supposed to stand as well? I thought the deviations were only for negative and positive counts and that BS was for neutral OR if you weren't keeping track.

Koz1984

30% of what you gain from ill 18 is insurance at +3, so remember that at least. With hitting 16, put it this way, if you were to stand, you would lose 546,000 out of 1,000,000 hands. If you hit, you lose 545,000 out of 1,000,000. It is so VERY minor in difference it hardly matters.

London Colin

FreeStyle said:
Furthermore, why is it that BS tells you to hit on 16 vs a 10 when for the deviations it says to stand on 16 vs a 10 when the count is neutral?! It's basically saying it starts off good to stand? So shouldn't BS say you are supposed to stand as well? I thought the deviations were only for negative and positive counts and that BS was for neutral OR if you weren't keeping track.
You're forgetting to count the cards in your hand. BS is the strategy that applies to the first hand of a brand new shoe; that's not the same thing as a neutral count. If 16 vs 10 has been dealt as the initial hand, then the RC is now -1 (two 10s and a 6 have been seen). So a counter and a basic-strategist would both hit.

One of the composition-dependent variations that can be applied, if you are not counting, is to stand on multi-card 16s.

21gunsalute

Koz1984 said:
30% of what you gain from ill 18 is insurance at +3, so remember that at least. With hitting 16, put it this way, if you were to stand, you would lose 546,000 out of 1,000,000 hands. If you hit, you lose 545,000 out of 1,000,000. It is so VERY minor in difference it hardly matters.
I find it very difficult to believe that 16 is only going to lose to a 10 up about 54.5% of the time. In fact if you stand on 16 against a 10, 7 of the 12 denominations available will beat you w/o the dealer hitting (since we know the dealer doesn't have an Ace). 7/12=58.33%, and obviously the dealer can still beat 16 by hitting a stiff hand which pushes the % much higher. I've seen that same figure quoted here before, but obviously it's an error.

21gunsalute

According to The Wizard Of Odds, the dealer is going to bust with a 10 up 23.2499% of the time, which means if you stand on 16 v 10 you will lose that hand 767501 times out of 1,000,000. I don't know where the 546,000 figure came from. Also I'm not sure how many times you'd lose if you hit 16 v 10. There's too many variables involved for simple math, but 5 out of 13 denominations or 38.46% will improve your hand and at least give you a chance to win.

[/QUOTE] - Can someone please point me in the right direction to a chart of these 18 rules? I have them in my blackjack book but that doesn't help me when I want to keep them in my pocket so that I may practice memorizing them at work. I've googled and searched on this website but have only found discussions and simulations. I would just like the 18 written rules for the hi-lo count. That way I could print it out on a nifty piece of paper.
Freestyle - If you've got the 18 in your book, why don't you just type them up and print them?

tribute

FreeStyle said:
CHART - Can someone please point me in the right direction to a chart of these 18 rules? I have them in my blackjack book but that doesn't help me when I want to keep them in my pocket so that I may practice memorizing them at work. I've googled and searched on this website but have only found discussions and simulations. I would just like the 18 written rules for the hi-lo count. That way I could print it out on a nifty piece of paper.

Go to bjmath.com.
"Search Engine"
Type in "illustrious 18"

Sonny

FreeStyle said:
I would just like the 18 written rules for the hi-lo count.
Check the Frequently Asked Questions thread.

FreeStyle said:
I understand that you are supposed to stand on a 16 vs 10 when the count is 0 to plus, but why is it that 16 vs 9 you have to wait until the true count is +5 before you stand?!?!
Because it is more profitable. :) If you need to justify it somehow, tell yourself that the dealer will only draw to a 21 from a 10 up about 3.77% of the time as opposed to 6.09% for a 9 up. The dealer is more likely to make a hand with a 9 so you will hit more aggressively. You can confirm that here:

http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bjtourn-dealercharts.php#T6DH17

FreeStyle said:
Furthermore, why is it that BS tells you to hit on 16 vs a 10 when for the deviations it says to stand on 16 vs a 10 when the count is neutral?!
Example: You hold 10,6 vs. 10. You hit because the count is negative. The same is true with 9,7 vs. 10 and 8,8 vs. 10 (although the eights offer a different option). BS counts the cards in your hand, which is why it tells you to hit.

-Sonny-

Sorry for the bump of this thread but I'm a new AP in training myself and have mastered Basic Strategy but have difficulty learning the Illustrious 18 as the charts in various books aren't that clear. Fortunately, this video cleared up a lot of things for me and hopefully for others as well!

Meistro

"I find it very difficult to believe that 16 is only going to lose to a 10 up about 54.5% of the time."

Yeah, 16 is going to lose more than 75% of the time, which is why you would rather surrender it.