Playing alone

Is it a good tactic when playing alone to bet 1 unit on 4 spots to "burn cards" and when the count is good to bet a ramp oif 10 to 20 units on only one spot? Should it be profitable as a standard 1-4 backcount tactic?

Deathclutch

mleancole said:
Is it a good tactic when playing alone to bet 1 unit on 4 spots to "burn cards" and when the count is good to bet a ramp oif 10 to 20 units on only one spot? Should it be profitable as a standard 1-4 backcount tactic?
I'd rather let other players burn cards in low counts with their money. Your effective spread there would be 1-5 at 20 units. 2.5 when you're only putting out 10. Hope you're talking single deck.

chichow

mleancole said:
Most places won't let you play more than 3 spots.

works but...

This can be a great tactic to "burning up" negative cards to get to a positive count, but watch the cost.

A lot of stores will make you put up twice the minimum box bet if you play two hands, so it can get expensive.

Say you normally have 1 unit on "your" box. Now you will need at least 2 units on it and (some stores may require more when playing more than two boxes...) on each of the other three. You now have 8 units out now in a neg count. If we are talking SD or DD I seea problem. Most decent games won't allow mid shoe entry, so they won't allow it. If they do, what is your normal spread on the game? 1 to 6? If so it is now going to have to be bigger because you essentially are making bigger bets in a neg count, so you will have to adjust your spread accordingly in positive counts to cover the losses or you will get hammered. If this is a big shoe game your spread will have to be pretty huge. Let someone else take those bad cards if you can.

Now, you have taken all this into consideration and decide to go for it. Count goes south, you spread out to 4 hands until count turns placing absolute minimum bets on all 4 spots until count climbs then pull back to one with a very large bet on it. I'm not a PC but I could spot that on a table from a mile away. I don't think it would be long before the skills check happened and you get tapped out.

I personally like to flip this coin the other way. When the count goes wrong in SD or DD I either get up, take a bathroom break, stand up and smoke (good one, you can still watch the table and the count but you are just 'being courteous' to everybody by standing back away from the table), or f I am playing all I just drop down to minimum bet. Now when the count gets high things change. Now I WANT more $$ out on the table so I may play two spots. If the store 'makes' me double my minimum box bet on each one even better! Three hands full of splits and doubles can be a really nice opportunity! It can also be expensive when variance bites too, lol.

Hope this helps, long story short, stick with backcounting if you can enter mid-shoe, develop a prostrate/bladder problem if you have to play all and play tables with one other person to let them eat the worthless stuff.

Have fun! Make $$!