Red Sevens for an old player-new counter

For anyone who may have actualy knowledge or experience to know, I'd appreciate an answer to the following question:
Is playing Simple Red Sevens (Running count only) combined with the following bet ramp good enough in the game I will describe to cause me to remain, at least slightly, ahead of the losing bracket? Is it reasonably good for a new counter to practice and still hope for modest gain? I can not wong in and out because this small store usually only has one or two tables going, so will this work to play through the negatives?
I play flawless basic strategy - the game is H17 DAS Split any pair up to 4 hands, including aces. One card on an Ace - Insurance 2-1 BJ 3-2 late surrender
Betting: Simple red seven with only the 5 indices recommended by Arnold snyder for the simple system.
Count Bet Bet unit is $5.00
<0 1 unit
0 2 units
2 2 units
4 2 units
6 3 units
8 4 units
12 6 units
16 8 units
This is the bet ramp recommended for casual counters in Arnold's book, so my question is mostly is it good enough, if well applied, to play without wonging? I can probably easily get away with a larger spread especially at this $5.00 level. Would it be advised and is so where would one plug in the additional spread bets? Any sound advice concerning any part of this will be very welcomed.

Brock Windsor

decks and pen

You need to post # decks and pen. If you only want to play a break even game you are probably fine. If you want to make $10/hr you will need to increase your spread.
-BW

Yep, forgot that info. It is a six deck shoe and the pen is between 1 1/2 and two decks cut.
a little closer to 2 than 1 1/2. Thanks for your input, and if it were you and you were going to increase the spread where would you plug in the numbers? How much at which counts to, say, spread 12-1?