shuffle math?

blackchipjim

This is more of math question since I'm math impaired to anyone who is not. There are equations for both riffle shuffles and strip shuffles and don't really know the signifigance of them. I posted a thread in another part of this site as to the advantage of exploting one over the other. Is there a mathematical advantage of being subject to one over the other or not?

blackchipjim

No math replies?

I guess I stumped a few of the local math whizs by asking this question. I may have not asked it correctly. There are different math equations for different shuffles I was still curious as to an advantage of one over the other.:confused:

blackchipjim

math on shuffles?

I guess I was mistaken on the relevance of the math on shuffles. I went to Wolfram's mathworld site and read about shuffles everso lightly. From the site I read that a perfectly shuffled deck returns to it's original state after eight perfect riffles. A fact that was stated much earlier in a another thread concerning different subject matter. Like I was saying because of my limited math ability I thought someone here might of stumbled onto or is privy to a theory of shuffle math and exploiting it. Thank you for your reply.

QFIT

blackchipjim said:
I guess I was mistaken on the relevance of the math on shuffles. I went to Wolfram's mathworld site and read about shuffles everso lightly. From the site I read that a perfectly shuffled deck returns to it's original state after eight perfect riffles. A fact that was stated much earlier in a another thread concerning different subject matter. Like I was saying because of my limited math ability I thought someone here might of stumbled onto or is privy to a theory of shuffle math and exploiting it. Thank you for your reply.
An interesting factoid, and not wholly correct as it assumes handedness and i think it's four shuffles for unsuited games like Blackjack. But, not really relevant as no one performs perfect shuffles other than magicians. Real shuffles must be simmed. And, it's a real pain.:)

Katweezel

QFIT said:
An interesting factoid, and not wholly correct as it assumes handedness and i think it's four shuffles for unsuited games like Blackjack. But, not really relevant as no one performs perfect shuffles other than magicians. Real shuffles must be simmed. And, it's a real pain.:)
Maybe it wouldn't be such a pain if you used a soft shoe shuffle...

blackchipjim

junk shuffle

The website did state only four dealers were able to achieve the desired level of competence of perfect interweave but that's not the point. I have through observation found some dealers who are tired tend to be lax in the riffles and with some can recall series of cards that reappear in subsequent hands. That's why I thought there may be a math equation that gives the edge of knowing specific cards that were to appear in the next seris such as doubling an ace/5 knowing that the next card with a certain degree of certainty that it would be another 5.