Testing a Spanish 21 Trainer

nuvi

Hi everyone,

It seems that there are quite a few experienced Spanish 21 players in these forums. I could use your help.

A few people have emailed me recently, pointing out bugs with the Spanish 21 trainer that I developed and made available for free at www.hitorsplit.com. Well, a Spanish 21 trainer doesn't do you any good if it offers bad advice!

So I would like to ensure that there are no other problems with the trainer, but it's quite difficult to identify all the issues when I'm the only one testing it. So if you like discovering errors, please help me improve this free resource.

Thanks!

assume_R

I checked it out when you first posted about your site, but I will be sure to try it out later when I get a chance and try to catch any bugs I find.

As an eventuality it would be excellent if somehow the user could input their own card tags and indices to practice on. I know it might be difficult to program but just keep it in mind!

As an aside, I find it highly amusing that Google Ads deems the most applicable advertisement for your website to be "Learn Spanish in 10 days" based on the content of your site haha

Mr. T

Still no ENHC Trainer with ES against all card except the Ace. This game is played by everybody in the world except the US.
Anyway The Wizard says that correct BS for ENHC is to Surrender 14 vs 10 and also Surrender pair of 8's against 9 and not to split.

duanedibley

Hi nuvi,

Thanks again for this great resource.

I posted in the original thread a few weeks ago about some new problems I found with the Spanish 21 trainer. I'm not sure if you got the message or these have been fixed yet:

If I double 11 vs A and pull a 6 for 17, and then I rescue, the trainer reports that rescuing was incorrect.

If I hit 78 spaded against a dealer 4, the trainer reports this as incorrect.

duanedibley

On the blackjack trainer, the chart for Double Deck H17 DOA DAS LS indicates that A3 vs 4 is a Hit, whereas the basic strategy engine on this site gives Double as the correct play.

duanedibley

Just doubled 10 vs 4, drew a 6, stood, and got an error for not surrendering :eek:

Also, the game I play is S17 where the dealer peeks for blackjack, but there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the specific rules after selecting "Standard S17". BB+1 is selected, but grayed out.

nuvi

Mr. T said:
Still no ENHC Trainer with ES against all card except the Ace. This game is played by everybody in the world except the US.
Anyway The Wizard says that correct BS for ENHC is to Surrender 14 vs 10 and also Surrender pair of 8's against 9 and not to split.
Regarding ENHC with Ace exception: I assume you are talking about blackjack. I have been trying to strike a balance between customization and ease of use. For now, there is an ENHC option, but it does not include the Ace exception. That will be a the top of my list to add if I decide to add more options to the blackjack game.

Regarding 14 vs. 10: I believe you identified a problem with the Blackjack, ENHC, Early Surrender strategy charts on the site. I will look into this error, and write back when I have a resolution.

Regarding Surrender pair of 8s against 9: I think the correct play is indeed to Split.

nuvi

duanedibley said:
Hi nuvi,

Thanks again for this great resource.

I posted in the original thread a few weeks ago about some new problems I found with the Spanish 21 trainer. I'm not sure if you got the message or these have been fixed yet:

If I double 11 vs A and pull a 6 for 17, and then I rescue, the trainer reports that rescuing was incorrect.

If I hit 78 spaded against a dealer 4, the trainer reports this as incorrect.
Thanks for reposting those here. Those bugs were indeed fixed recently.

In fact, there were 4 bug fixes, so the following problems are all resolved now:

1) Under Standard S17, 8 decks: After doubling down on 11 against a dealer's Ace, I received a 6 and surrendered with 17. The game told me that I was incorrect. It said that I should have HIT. But hitting was not an option because I had already doubled down. The correct play was indeed to Surrender because hitting was not possible.

2) Under Standard S17, 8 decks: I had a 7 of spades and an 8 of spades, and the dealer had a 4. I hit, but the game incorrectly told me that the correct play was to stand.

3) In the three versions of Spanish 21 (Standard H17, Redouble H17, Standard S17), the dealer receives a "hole card" (a card facing down). The dealer should "peek" at that card, and the game should immediately end if the dealer has a blackjack (an Ace and a face card). Currently, the dealer does not "peek". In the Pontoon versions of the game, there is no hole card, and the game seems to work correctly.

4) In the Spanish 21 game, if a player doubles down and receives a card that makes the total less than 17 and subsequently STANDS, the game incorrectly tells the player that he should have SURRENDERED.

nuvi

duanedibley said:
On the blackjack trainer, the chart for Double Deck H17 DOA DAS LS indicates that A3 vs 4 is a Hit, whereas the basic strategy engine on this site gives Double as the correct play.
BlackjackInfo.com is correct. I will make the correction on the trainer and charts at hitorsplit. Thank you.

nuvi

duanedibley said:
Just doubled 10 vs 4, drew a 6, stood, and got an error for not surrendering :eek:

Also, the game I play is S17 where the dealer peeks for blackjack, but there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the specific rules after selecting "Standard S17". BB+1 is selected, but grayed out.
Regarding surrender error: That problem has been resolved.

Regarding the options: Because there are so many different combinations of Spanish 21 rules, I decided to only make 3 Spanish 21 games and 7 Pontoon Games. According to Katarina Walker's book, they are the more commonly dealt games. (The grayed out options are displayed for informational purposes.)

nuvi

I apologize for the late response, but the problem you described is now resolved. The game correctly credits the player with a win when both the player and dealer have blackjack.

Thanks for letting me know.