quick four hours

rrwoods

I got some MPs usable only this past weekend so of course I decided to hit up the local store.

I had read all about what you're supposed to do with these things in Beyond Coupons, and I was all ready to play my set of three coupons on 7, 12, and 13 on the same spin. Seeing as I had never used one of these things before, I said as much to the dealer, asking "what exactly do I do with this thing?"

I honestly don't remember most of what he said, because what I do remember was this: "Even money bets only." The rest was a blur.

"Oh. Thanks, I didn't know that! I think I'll play it on craps then."

As I didn't have access to Beyond Coupons at that point to find out best even-money bet to use it on, I figured I'd just use it on my game of choice. Over to the blackjack tables I go.

Finished the session down one unit, but "up" information. Found an absolutely amazing dealer.

He was cutting off less than one deck out of eight.

My friend had a 6-4 against a dealer ten and was playing third base, and the dealer just dealt him a card without him having made a hand signal; it was an Ace. As my friend is saying "I wanted to double that" (index play!), the dealer plays out his hand and busts. After very, very little commotion the dealer just asks him to put the double up, and then he pays the doubled bet! Amazing.

I think a major thing that helped the rapport was a misplay I had made. I hit A-7 vs. 2, simply misremembering the play there. I changed my signal, but he had already pulled the card and started to turn it over. I relented and accepted the card, since I had already made the play. I see a lot of people who would complain about this, and I think he appreciated the lack of protesting that could have happened. He gave even better pen after that!

I also had the chance to finally get an aggressive ploppy to GTFO. I stood a 16 vs. 10, and "caused" the table to lose (if I had hit it "like I was supposed to" the dealer would have busted). The ploppy says something similar to "when you start playing with my money that's when we have issues". Now I've heard it all! Sure enough, the count is still good and three hands later I have 10-6 vs. face card. I look the guy straight in the eye and say "you want it?" "Huh?" "Do you want my hand?" "Not buying your hand, man." "Alright then." I wave. He leaves after that hand.

I remark to the dealer "I was honestly going to split the first twenty I got just to get him to leave." He laughs harder than any dealer I've ever seen.

All in all... fantastic entertainment and easily one unit worth of information here!

tensplitter

I personally would bet all the match plays on the dont pass bar in craps, then place the 6 and 8 (or the 5 and 6/8 if 6/8 is the point). You'd be ahead no matter the result, and can ride a hot roll with the place bets to end up even more ahead. I know that's not the best way to maximize the coupon value. If it can be used for even money only, just remember that a blackjack hand has less than 50% chance of winning even if the count is really high. Your goal is to win with the coupon.

And to top it off, match play coupons make doubles and even moreso splits very awkward. So for maximum EV craps is sadly the best option -insert pun about the game being crap here-

tensplitter

With a blackjack match play, if you have the chance to double, you pony up your own money since the double down money you bet will be at an advantage.

tensplitter said:
With a blackjack match play, if you have the chance to double, you pony up your own money since the double down money you bet will be at an advantage.
After we looked at the math that is mostly correct, but the caveat is that the coupon makes the EVdouble higher but -also- makes EVhit also higher, and not in the same ratios. So it makes a few plays into hits interestingly enough. And makes me appreciate the guide that is Beyond Coupons even more. :)