To the seasoned AP's

blackjacktilt

I don't know if this is a proper question to post, but I'm gonna ask anyway.
What are the most effective cover plays?
I usually start out the beginning with a bigger bet than my flat, and try to make it look like I use progression.
I surrender 15,16 vs 9 and up especially on TC's of 2 or higher.
If it helps, I'm using hi/lo.
Any advice?
Obviously I wasn't doing something right during my last "back off".
Thanks in advance

Sucker

blackjacktilt said:
?
Obviously I wasn't doing something right during my last "back off".
Thanks in advance
It's quite probable that the reason you got backed off was because you WAS doing something right! When you're counting cards the backoffs will come with the territory.

21forme

There really are no effective cover plays. Look at it this way - if another counter sits down next to you, how long does it take YOU to figure out what he's doing, even if he makes a dumb play from time to time?

The most effective cover is leaving after a couple of big bet cycles.

BJgenius007

The best cover is to play short sessions.

Leave the table after your big bets when TC has turned down or a new shoe. Take a break then go to another table with different pit boss.

Jack_Black

It all depends on the level of heat you're getting, and even then, it won't work.

Getting a little heat? try talking loudly, and ordering stiff drinks, being obnoxious, (friendly works too)

PC hovering over the table before you even start to play? make it look like you're a progression bettor during positive counts. I press my bets, or do a very very small martingale. I've been to a few sweaty places that relax too quickly when they see me doing that from the get go. I did it last week actually, and then when the PCs werent' looking, I pulled out 60 units playing properly.

get a "checks play" or have been sitting in one spot too long? not much you can do, unless you're doing something else other than counting. better to just lose a few hands and not come back on that shift for awhile.

Ferretnparrot

Spread betting is a dead giveaway, and is usually what the stereotypical card counter does. I avoid changing my bet size dramatically while periodically sitting out hands for no reason but betting larger on the hands that you do play. For instance, if you play ten dollars as your smalle bet, play 30 dollars after sitting out for two, then drop to ten on the next hand for no apparent reason, since you bet 0 dollars on two hands, you will still average 10/hnd, also. At. Neutral counts be sure to dramatically raise and lower your bets for no reason.

Don't bother betting big on the first hand, its not going to do anything if you put up monster bets at the end of the last shoes so save your money, sometimes I color up all but my small chips, put it in my pocket as if I'm going to leave and just before they deal the first hand put a small bet as that last hand before I leave kinda move....then I just keep playing.

Try singing while your at the table.

If you put into a position where you should drop from a max bet to min, sit out a hand instead, if you get back to a player advantage put back the same sized bet.

All in all, reducing the frequency that you varry your bet size hand to hand will reduce scruitiny a lot. If your going to backcount, sit down at the table, don't stand behind it.

Homeschool

Jack_Black said:
It all depends on the level of heat you're getting, and even then, it won't work.

Getting a little heat? try talking loudly, and ordering stiff drinks, being obnoxious, (friendly works too)

PC hovering over the table before you even start to play? make it look like you're a progression bettor during positive counts. I press my bets, or do a very very small martingale. I've been to a few sweaty places that relax too quickly when they see me doing that from the get go. I did it last week actually, and then when the PCs werent' looking, I pulled out 60 units playing properly.

get a "checks play" or have been sitting in one spot too long? not much you can do, unless you're doing something else other than counting. better to just lose a few hands and not come back on that shift for awhile.

Pay attention to what the most degenerate gamblers you can find are doing.....do exactly what they are doing....right down to the dumb things like tapping the neighbor's felt when they get an ace....make them think you are a ploppy...

Homeschool

moo321

There's two categories: Acting and actual cover play. Having a good act doesn't affect EV, so it's far and away the preferred method. Some places, you can chat up the pit, order drinks, and everything's ok. Others, (i.e. the Spaniard) it won't help.

As far as cover plays that actually work without murdering your already small EV, I like opposition betting. Try to look like a progression bettor, then spread 1-100. Or get a partner and trade off an aggregate spread of 1-100.

I would actually argue that wonging is the best camo play there is. You can do it with almost no bet variation, you don't lose your name if you get busted, and it helps EV and variance.

Jack_Black

Homeschool said:
Pay attention to what the most degenerate gamblers you can find are doing.....do exactly what they are doing....right down to the dumb things like tapping the neighbor's felt when they get an ace....make them think you are a ploppy...

Homeschool
Yo homey! where you been? haven't seen you post on here for awhile. We're gonna have to get together soon for a game or two.

Homeschool

Wazzuup

Hey man.....been a busy summer but slowing down finally.....that definitely sounds good, I've been itching to play......now if only I could get the wife to hurry up and finish school....:grin:

Hey!

Homeschool said:

Homeschool
Be careful there!! Geez, your hitting too close to home:laugh: :)yikes: sometimes those things don't even help:sad:)

CP