The $50 table

flyingwind

Decided to play at the $50 table tonight.

What a rush. This is a whole different level of play, decisions, camo, and test of how far one will go. All the decisions seem like they ought to be the same as at the lower limits - $5, $10, $15, $25 - just scaled up, right? And yet, it just does not feel the same. It's so much more intense.

Lost 32 units. Although this is just a small variance for this level of play, it really hurts.

Oh well, next time.

flyingwind

I'm just trying to get comfortable with the higher limits and larger max bets.

I could not wong in due to no mid shoe entry. Only out.

flyingwind said:
I could not wong in due to no mid shoe entry. Only out.
Possibly the biggest reason to avoid high limit tables. Until your max bet exceeds the max on the general public tables don't even think about it. There is so much EV in being able to come and go as you please.

flyingwind

Automatic Monkey said:
Possibly the biggest reason to avoid high limit tables. Until your max bet exceeds the max on the general public tables don't even think about it. There is so much EV in being able to come and go as you please.
I absolutely agree.

High limit seems like a scam. For what? Slightly better rules?

johndoe

flyingwind said:
I absolutely agree.

High limit seems like a scam. For what? Slightly better rules?
For gamblers it makes sense: nicer environment, better rules, fewer derelicts bugging you, better drinks, hotter dealers, etc.

For AP's, there needs to be a good reason to play in there.

NightStalker

Does it happen?

Automatic Monkey said:
The biggest reason i play at HL because of Better rules and empty heads up tables.. sometimes better pen..

flyingwind

NightStalker said:
The biggest reason i play at HL because of Better rules and empty heads up tables.. sometimes better pen..
Yes, I've found better rules and heads-up play. No, I have not always found better pen. Must vary from place to place, and dealer by dealer.

flyingwind

johndoe said:
For gamblers it makes sense: nicer environment, better rules, fewer derelicts bugging you, better drinks, hotter dealers, etc.

I have not found hotter dealers. I need to play where you're playing. :)

flyingwind

pit15 said:
When I played green I had to eat some of the expense for hotel rooms (although not much), and pay for some of my food. Now that I'm betting black, not only do I make more on the AP itself, everything's comped and I get tons of match plays, gifts, etc.

Increasing your bet from $25 -> $100 results in more then a 4X return.
copied quote from another thread.

Over all, I think it is eventually the correct move to start playing higher stakes to 1. improve +EV (per hour, per set time) 2. gain better rules 3. improve comps.

I understand that it requires a larger bankroll.

Sharky

flyingwind said:
Decided to play at the $50 table tonight.

...All the decisions seem like they ought to be the same as at the lower limits - $5, $10, $15, $25 - just scaled up, right?...

yes, you should always make the correct play regardless of the stakes, if you do not, you are playing over your head

bjcount

johndoe said:

better rules, better..., fewer derelicts, and more opportunities to play heads up are good enough reasons for me.

If you have the BR to play it properly than NMS shouldn't be the issue. If your pushing your min bet up for the "thrill" than your doing it for the wrong reason.

environment, drinks, hotter dealers or waitresses should NOT be the reason to play HL games.

BJC

BJLFS

bjcount said:
better rules, better..., fewer derelicts, and more opportunities to play heads up are good enough reasons for me.

If you have the BR to play it properly than NMS shouldn't be the issue. If your pushing your min bet up for the "thrill" than your doing it for the wrong reason.

environment, drinks, hotter dealers or waitresses should NOT be the reason to play HL games.

BJC
What's NMS? Thx.

flyingwind

BJLFS said:
What's NMS? Thx.
No mid shoe entry. It means that if you don't play a hand, you must stay out for the rest of the shoe. It also means that if others are playing the shoe, you cannot join until the cards are shuffled into a new shoe.

flyingwind

bjcount said:
BJC
Of course I agree that if one has the proper BR to play-all for a NMS high-limit game, playing the game *shouldn't* be an issue.

The technical aspects of the play are no different. Use the appropriate indices and spread just like lower limit play.

But... developing the comfort and nerves to play at this level, as well as watching for the heat at this level, I think, is a different experience. It'll take getting used to.

BJLFS

flyingwind said:
No mid shoe entry. It means that if you don't play a hand, you must stay out for the rest of the shoe. It also means that if others are playing the shoe, you cannot join until the cards are shuffled into a new shoe.
Thanks.